My first suggestion is to stop using plastic bags. Did you know each year, an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide? The use of plastic bags has negative effects on the environment, every year marine animals die from consuming plastic and since plastic is not biodegradable they break down into smaller toxic parts that contaminate soil and roadways. You can read more about the cost of plastic bags on the environment on Reusablebags.com.
To stop contributing to this pollution you can simply start bringing your own reusable bags to the grocery store, department store or any other place where you are likely to receive items in a plastic bag when purchased. You can go for basic green bags that most stores actually carry for about $1.00, I have some from Publix and Walmart. But look around your home, you likely have tote bags that you can use for your purchases.
To ensure that I don't leave my bags at home I leave them on the doorknob to my garage and then take them to the car when I am doing shopping. I also leave a couple in the car just in case I have to pick something up and forget to take the bags from home.
Another tip that you can easily incorporate into your life is to use a water filter instead of buying bottled water. You can use a Brita or similar product to filter your water. This will cut down on the plastic bottle waste in the environment. If you sign a pledge to reduce your use of bottled water with Filter For Good you will recieve a $5.00 off coupon for Brita products.
By taking these two easy steps you can cut down on the plastic waste that you contribute to our environment. Thanks to Walmart, all of the ElevenMoms are having a giveaway that will further assist you in your journey to live a greener lifestyle.
The winner will recieve:
One Brita Digital Water Filter valued at :$34.98
One Bissell Little Green Carpet and Upholstry Cleaner : $74.88
Greenworks Cleaners, White Cloud Recycled Toilet paper and Tide Coldwater Detergent
This prize package has an approxate retail value of $130.00
Leave a comment telling me which of these products you look forward to using most AND how your family is working on being green. Please answer both parts of the question in your response.
For Extra Entries -LEAVE A SEPARATE COMMENT FOR EACH METHOD OF ENTRY
2. Subscribe for email updates (if you are already a subscriber leave a comment too). You must confirm your subscription! Please respond to the email that you receive.
3. If you prefer to subscribe by RSS please leave a comment and let me know that you have subscribed (if you are already a subscriber leave a comment too)
4. Twitter the giveaway. Please leave the tweet url in your comment (click on the time of your tweet and this will pop-up). To make it easy you can use this text:
Enter Earth Day Giveaway on @Cutiebootycakes Blog http://tinyurl.com/chmn92 Pls R/T
5. Stumble, Digg or Kirtsy this post - please leave your id in your comment.
6. Add Cutie Booty Cakes to your blogroll or post the button on your sidebar (if you have already done this leave a comment too).
7. Blog and link back to this giveaway.
This giveaway is open until 11:59 PM on Saturday, April 30, 2009. The winner will be chosen by random. Winner will be notified by email (please be sure to include your email address if it is not in your profile) and have 48 hours to respond. Otherwise, an alternate winner will be chosen.