Thanksgiving recipe Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts






Thanksgiving is two weeks away and I am all ready for the holiday season. As they say “its the most wonderful time of the year!” and I am a believer! I absolutely LOVE the holidays because I get to throw down in the kitchen. I always make my famous sweet potato pie but I also do a little bit of experimentation too. One of my favorite vegetables are brussels sprouts and I usually enjoy them roasted in a little olive oil with salt and pepper.  A great side dish but I also like them as a snack. This year, I decided to take this up a notch and add more flavor to my favorite dish.




I give you - Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Cranberries. Believe me when I tell you they taste as good as they look. I drizzled them with a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pomegranate red wine vinegar, maple syrup and then roasted for 30 minutes. 


After removing from the oven, I topped them with chopped pistachios and dried cranberries. I am telling you, this dish is amazing. Even folks who claim they don’t like brussels sprouts will enjoy it. The acidity of the vinegar combined with the sweetness of the maple syrup and cranberries is a perfect combination. The pistachios add a nice crunch. DELICIOUS!


It is so simple to make that even the most inept folks in the kitchen (I know you are out there but trust me, this recipe is easy) will be thought of as gourmet cooks and have the crowd asking for seconds! I suggest doubling or tripling the recipe if you are having company. The brussels sprouts shrink and I am telling you, folks will want more.





Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Cranberries


Ingredients
1 lb Brussels Sprouts, rinsed trimmed and halved
1 large tart apple (I used honeycrisp), cored and diced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsps maple syrup
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (I also added pomegranate red wine vinegar)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup salted and roasted pistachios


Method
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. In a large bowl combine sprouts and apple. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar and maple syrup.
  3. Pour maple syrup mixture over sprouts and apple until evenly covered.
  4. Season liberally with salt and pepper
  5. Roast in oven 10-15 minutes until brown and tender, turning halfway through cooking (In my oven roasting for 30 minutes worked better for me).
  6. Top with cranberries and pistachios.


If you are looking for more holiday entertaining ideas, check out Walmart Entertaining.



Comments

Popular Posts