New Year, New Me!

Happy New Year
photo credit: James Marvin Phelps

Happy New Year! Although it is 9 days into 2014 this is my first post. In some ways I feel like I’m behind but mostly I feel like I am starting this year with momentum that will continue throughout the year. A New Year marks the death of the old and birth of the new which is a very exciting time for most people. I am sure you have seen numerous New Year resolutions on facebook, in blog posts or from friends filled with declarations of change. As a matter of fact, 45% of Americans make New Year resolutions but sadly only 8% of them are successful. Personally, I don’t believe in making resolutions but I do take time to reflect on the past and look forward and plan for the year to come.

2013 was a year of flux for me. Professionally it was my most “successful” to date - if you simply judge success by a paycheck. I was able to address my health concerns, had a successful operation and came back strong. There were some really great moments for me last year and high on the list include being the social media correspondent for Walmart at the Essence Festival this past summer and conquering the 199 mile Ragnar Relay from Maryland to Washington, DC. My first leg of the race was 8 miles - five of which were up MOUNTAIN. Notice, I said mountain, because I literally was running (and walking and jogging) up a mountain in 100% humidity with 100% heat index. It was the most challenging thing I’ve ever done - more challenging even then the Marine Corps Marathon I ran in 2012. In addition to the challenge it gave me the confidence to believe that I can do absolutely ANYTHING I put my mind to.


In 2014, I have some high hopes and aspirations. There are many things I left undone in 2013 that I plan on tackling this year. And as I sit in reflection on the past and dream for the future, the word that resonates with me is


TRANSFORMATION

This year will be one of transformation for me.  I believe my transformation will touch all aspects of my life - physical, mental and spiritual. If I said I had it all planned out I’d be lying but I do have some overall goals that I’ve already started working on and have had positive results. I am beginning 2014 happy, healthy and wise. I’m taking the lessons from 2013 making adjustments and believing that 2014 will be my very best year!



Comments

Popular Posts