Change - an ode to self care


photo credit: S on flickr



Times are changing. The political climate has driven all of us to take a closer look at what is happening in the world around us. Regardless of where we stand,  one thing is clear - we are all being affected and taking action. However today I am not going to talk about politics, there is more than enough of that dialogue going on and I don’t want it to take over my life and bring me fatigue. Self-care is important to me and in recent months this has been my focus. This ties into the world around me because of change.


Change. For the first time I am not only acknowledging I have to meet my own needs, I am actually doing it. This has been beneficial. I have stepped outside of my comfort zone and been more open about my needs. I’ve shared my vulnerabilities. I’ve received support from unexpected places. None of this has been easy and I am still in the midst of very trying times. But the one thing I’ve learned is that I am not alone.


For most of my life I have isolated myself in times of trouble. Sometimes the isolation is physical but most times I withhold information from friends and loved ones because of pride. My fear of judgement and because as an only child I’ve always handled things on my own. I never realized how freeing it would be to share more of myself. It has fostered deeper relationships, greater self reflection and has resulted in a better me. This journey is far from over but I’m liking the results I see.


They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks but I know this isn’t true. By making small changes I am beginning to live a fulfilled, more well-rounded life and am comfortable in my own skin. I’m making choices the best for me and not resorting to old coping mechanisms that were not beneficial to me. This change isn’t easy but it is getting a little easier every day. Do you have a similar story?

I share because I want to remind you that although the world around us is seemingly spiraling out of control and you can’t breath, please don’t forget to put on your oxygen mask first. Ask for help when you need it. Take a timeout from social media. Turn off the news and listen to great music. Dance. Eat. Pray. Make love. Be happy! And if you aren’t happy manifest happiness until it becomes a reality. Self-care is the most important gift you can give yourself and the ones you love. Do it now, the life you save will be your own!

Comments

Popular Posts