Pippin! #PippinonTour

photo credit: Tony Shapiro

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing the Broadway Atlanta show Pippin. Pippin is a coming of age story about a young Prince, Pippin who is searching for meaning in his life. Pippin is a revival show that won the 2013 Tony award for best revival and after seeing the show I understand why. Before seeing the show last night, I was not familiar with it at all. I remember singing the song “Corner of the Sky” when I was in elementary school chorus but that was the extent of my knowledge about the show.

photo credit: Tony Shapiro

Pippin was indeed a treat! The show takes place in a circus environment and includes excellent displays of athleticism in acrobatics by the Gypsy Snider performers of Montreal. The dancing was beyond reproach and was choreographed by Tony award nominee Chet Walker in the style of Fosse. Jazz hands were in full effect during the show! And the singing was absolutely incredible.

photo credit: Tony Shapiro

I was thoroughly entertained for the duration of this 2 and half hour show. It was comedic and vibrant.  Truly a Broadway winner. A word to the wise, this show is clearly intended for adult audiences with graphic language and adult situations but if you are looking for a show for date night or a girls night out with friends I highly recommend it! Pippin is here in Atlanta until May 10th so get your tickets quickly!

I am looking forward to the rest of the season of Broadway in Atlanta - Wicked, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, the Sound of Music and the return of The Book of Mormon. For a full 2015-2016 schedule go here.   

Disclosure: I was provided with media passes to the show from Broadway Atlanta. As usual, all opinions are my own.  

Comments

Popular Posts