4th of July Watermelon Dessert {Recipe} #wmtmoms


Summer is my favorite season. I enjoy the time with my son, the heat, the picnics and parties in the park. And I especially love having access to my favorite fruit, watermelon. Ahh, watermelon, I’ve been known to eat an entire half of a watermelon in one sitting. 




I love it! My son also loves watermelon and so we have it in the house frequently but in the summer, you can always find it in my refrigerator because the price can't be beat ($4.98)! When the Walmart moms program asked me to share a watermelon recipe, I decided to figure out a special way to prepare this fruit. I’ve made smoothies, popsicles and of course enjoy it right off the rind but this time, in celebration of the 4th of July I decided on watermelon jelly.


Yes, watermelon jelly. A delicious dessert best enjoyed on a hot summer day. Basically, this is a homemade watermelon gelatin and I have prepared it in a way that can be enjoyed by both children and adults alike. But before I get to the recipe, let me tell you about the watermelon. Here in Atlanta at Walmart I have access to locally grown watermelon. Last year I had the opportunity to speak to the owner who farms watermelon in my area. If you check, you are likely to have locally grown watermelon too. Check out this video about local growers. 




And I have to readily admit that I have not had a watermelon that wasn’t sweet and satisfying. But luckily, even if I did, I know that Walmart has the 100% fresh guarantee and if I am dissatisfied, I can return my fruit or exchange, no questions asked!


The watermelon I used today did not disappoint. It is sweet and I did eat a fourth of it during and after the preparation of my jelly. Don’t judge me! It is so refreshing and good! Anyhow, to make the jelly, I took a fourth of my large watermelon and pureed it the blender until all I had was juice, since I used a seedless watermelon I didn’t have to remove any seeds. This yielded about 2 cups of juice. 

I placed half in a bowl and added two packs of Knox unflavored gelatin. I let it set and heated the rest of the juice on the stove, added agave nectar and then added the cool juice and gelatin to the mix.

I placed the liquid in a Wilton’s Star Mold, covered it and placed it in the refrigerator. The extra jelly I placed in a regular container to make jelly cubes too. I let the jelly set overnight and now, I am enjoying my jelly! For the kids, I simply serve up the star jelly as is. For adults, I add a little sweet champagne over the top and the result? Absolutely delicious!





So looking for a few stars to celebrate the 4th of July? Whip up some quick watermelon jelly and I know your friends and family will enjoy!



Watermelon Jelly


Ingredients


1/4 seedless watermelon - enough to yield approx 2 cups of juice
2 packets unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon agave nectar
Favorite sparkling wine


Method
Cut up watermelon and place in blender or food processor. Blend until it is liquid.
Pour half of the liquid in a small bowl. Add the gelatin and let set for 3 minutes.
Warm remaining juice and add agave nectar.
Whisk in gelatin mix.
Pour warm liquid into star mold.
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours but preferably overnight.
Remove from mold.
For adults sprinkle with your favorite sweet sparkling wine or champagne.
Enjoy!


For more watermelon recipes check out my fellow Walmart Moms:

Nicole of Pressley's Pantry: Watermelon Margarita
Tina of Mommy's Kitchen: Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie
Amy of Mom Advice: Watermelon Granita 
Tara of Unsophisticook: Watermelon Salsa




Comments

Popular Posts