DIY Color Run Powder


On May 31st, I will have the opportunity to share one of my passions with my son. Running! We both enjoy running and will be running our first race together, the Color Vibe 5k in Stone Mountain, Georgia. I can’t tell you how excited I am. This color run is going to be a blast and I know my soon to be seven year old will enjoy it. Our participation is being supported by the Color Vibe and Tum-E Yummies and they’ve asked me to create a Color Your World kit for the race. For me this is a no-brainer, I already know my son Is going to love being splashed with color. So to whet his appetite, we are going to have a mini-color run in the backyard and throw colored powder at each other to practice for race day!





DIY Color Run Powder


First, you will need cornstarch and food coloring. You can easily pick these up on your next trip to the grocery or big box store.




Next, determine the amount of colored powdered you’d like to make and place it in a bowl. I used about a cup of cornstarch for each color.



Slowly add some water and 5 -10 drops of food coloring to the cornstarch.


Mix. This takes some elbow grease. The cornstarch will become hard and lump together but I just used a spoon and fork to smash it into crumbles.



Finally, let the powder dry overnight. You can place it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Or simply place it in a plastic baggie and leave it open. If you find the dried powder is clumpy, run it a few times in your food processor or blender.


That is it! My son will enjoy throwing our colorful powder on me and others. In our kit we also have goggles, white clothing and a wig for me to keep the powder out of hair. I can’t wait to experience the Color Vibe 5k with my son!


GIVEAWAY
If you are an Atlanta local, you can win a pair of tickets to the Color Vibe 5k Race at Stone Mountain and run with us! Simply leave a comment below telling me what race essentials you would want for your family. The winner will also receive samples of Tum-E Yummies!

Contest ends May 23rd.

Comments

kelly muvunyi said…
Did you use the full 16 oz of corn starch? How many bags did the powder paint fill? I'm trying to host a powder paint fight with 15 people so I need to know how much to buy.
Unknown said…
What is the water to food coloring ratio?
Unknown said…
What is the water to food coloring ratio?
Unknown said…
Thanks for this idea, I'm a runner and my older two have gotten into it with me. We did Rad Run this spring and plan to do a fundraiser at the school with a color run "touch" to it. If you haven't already you should check out Girls on the Run through the YMCA if your son is now 8 and in the 3rd grade he can join STRIDE which is the boys version of Girls on the Run, my oldest will be doing STRIDE this year and my 2nd grade daughter is just WAITING to do GOTR (I'm the head coach)

Popular Posts