Saint Patrick's Day Protein Shake



Well, Saint Patrick’s Day is a week away and I know this weekend will be filled with celebrations. Although I have never attended, just a mere 4 hours away in Savannah the 2nd largest St. Patrick’s Day parade will be held on the 17th and this weekend the celebration will be in full effect. I am not going and since I am working on building my best body ever, I won’t be indulging in the drinking and eating usually associated with St. Patrick’s Day. However, when Walmart challenged me to come up with a recipe, I decided that I’d provide a healthy recipe for revelers who want to keep up with clean eating while celebrating.

Of course, for St. Patrick’s Day the primary color is green. I am keeping up with tradition and made a green shake that is jam packed with protein. I started with Marketside Organic spinach. I like spinach because it is not a bitter green that will throw off the taste of the shake. As a matter of fact, other than providing color for the shake you really wouldn’t know spinach was involved.  I also wanted to add a little mint to the mix. I like the fresh taste it provides and for some reason, mint makes me think of Saint Patrick’s Day! '


In addition to the greenery, I added my protein sources. For the shake I used YoPlait Greek 100 vanilla yogurt. I spent some time at Walmart choosing the right Greek yogurt, I wanted one high in protein but relatively low in sugar. With 13 grams of protein and 7 grams of sugar this one came out on top! I also used Six Star Pro Nutrition French Vanilla shake with 20 grams of protein. I decided to use an individual shake because the four pack works for my purposes. If I don’t have time to make my St. Paddy’s Day Shake  or I need a snack between meals I can simply grab a premade one and go. Also, since they were on rollback for $4.98 they were extremely economical too!  

My Saint Paddy’s Day shake can be used as a meal replacement if you are on the run and can even be used as a breakfast shake. It tastes absolutely delicious and if you serve it at a gathering, all of your friends - even those who aren’t health conscious - will agree that it is tasty!


St. Patrick’s Day Shake

Calories: 277
Fat: 7 grams
Sugar: 10 grams
Protein: 34 grams

Ingredients
5.3 oz Yoplait Greek 100 vanilla yogurt
1 cup spinach
Few sprigs mint leaves
11 ounce Six Star French Vanilla protein shake (or your favorite protein powder/shake)

Method
Place all ingredients in blender and blend for 30 seconds on medium.
Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts