Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies for Valentine's Day



Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. It is a celebration of love and my favorite way to express love is by baking sweet treats. Last year I made cupcakes for my son’s class and this year I wanted to do something a little different. Red velvet sandwich cookies are perfect for Valentine’s Day! Red, chocolatey and delicious? How can you go wrong? Now for this particular treat I utilized Red Velvet M&Ms which are exclusive to Walmart. 



It is Valentine’s Day so I figure why not go all the way with treats for your sweetie? Or family or your child’s class!  

These delicious confections are so tasty but I have to admit right up front that they are sweet. So sweet in fact that one is more than enough. I’m actually delighted that I used a heart shaped cookie mold because the regular sized cookie was really too much for me! This recipe is super easy to make. I used a boxed red velvet cupcake mix from Duncan Hines and it included everything I needed, including the cream cheese filling. I can’t claim ownership of this recipe, I used the one right from the Duncan Hines website.

While the cookies were baking I made the filling and once the cookies cooled I cut them into heart shapes with a heart shaped cookie cutter from a set of various sizes available at Walmart. Next I spread a little frosting on the bottom cookie and added in a little surprise - 3 or 4 red velvet M&Ms. I topped it with another cookie, squashed them together and had super treats for Valentine’s Day.



My son LOVED them. I put one in his lunchbox and he came home asking for another. Needless to say, between the two of us the cookies were gone in a few days. Just so you know, the recipe makes about 8 sandwiches, you can get more if you use lessen the amount of dough that you use for each cookie. I hope you have a lovely Valentine’s Day!



Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet Decadent Cupcake Mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1 yolk
  • 1/3 c oil
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • 4 T butter
  • 4 t water
Method

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Mix together the cake mix and the next 4 ingredients.
  3. Roll cookies into balls using 2t of dough per cookie.
  4. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, follow the frosting directions on the box (you’ll need the ½ stick of butter and 4t of water for this step).
  6. Pipe the frosting onto the bottom of one cookie and smash another cookie on it.
  7. Repeat previous step until all cookies are sandwiches and ready to eat.

Comments

Popular Posts