Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies for Valentine's Day
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. It is a celebration of love and my favorite way to express love is by baking sweet treats. Last year I made cupcakes for my son’s class and this year I wanted to do something a little different. Red velvet sandwich cookies are perfect for Valentine’s Day! Red, chocolatey and delicious? How can you go wrong? Now for this particular treat I utilized Red Velvet M&Ms which are exclusive to Walmart.
It is Valentine’s Day so I figure why not go all the way with treats for your sweetie? Or family or your child’s class!
These delicious confections are so tasty but I have to admit right up front that they are sweet. So sweet in fact that one is more than enough. I’m actually delighted that I used a heart shaped cookie mold because the regular sized cookie was really too much for me! This recipe is super easy to make. I used a boxed red velvet cupcake mix from Duncan Hines and it included everything I needed, including the cream cheese filling. I can’t claim ownership of this recipe, I used the one right from the Duncan Hines website.
While the cookies were baking I made the filling and once the cookies cooled I cut them into heart shapes with a heart shaped cookie cutter from a set of various sizes available at Walmart. Next I spread a little frosting on the bottom cookie and added in a little surprise - 3 or 4 red velvet M&Ms. I topped it with another cookie, squashed them together and had super treats for Valentine’s Day.
My son LOVED them. I put one in his lunchbox and he came home asking for another. Needless to say, between the two of us the cookies were gone in a few days. Just so you know, the recipe makes about 8 sandwiches, you can get more if you use lessen the amount of dough that you use for each cookie. I hope you have a lovely Valentine’s Day!
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
- 1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet Decadent Cupcake Mix
- 1 egg
- 1 yolk
- 1/3 c oil
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 4 T butter
- 4 t water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix together the cake mix and the next 4 ingredients.
- Roll cookies into balls using 2t of dough per cookie.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, follow the frosting directions on the box (you’ll need the ½ stick of butter and 4t of water for this step).
- Pipe the frosting onto the bottom of one cookie and smash another cookie on it.
- Repeat previous step until all cookies are sandwiches and ready to eat.