Read Across America 2014


My son truly enjoying Dr. Seuss! 


This Monday, March 3rd is Read Across America Day. Schools, communities and individuals are celebrating literacy, the joy of reading and of course, Dr. Seuss!  Dr. Seuss has been a staple in many people’s home libraries for decades. I can remember reading Dr. Seuss as a child and even as an adult - are you familiar with Oh! The Places You Will Go! ? It is excellent for recent college graduates! I am so very proud that this year my son will easily read Dr. Seus books on his own. The Cat in The Hat has been in our collection since he was two years old and now he can read it alone! This was a gift to him by his very first teacher Mrs. Hall who I became very fond of when my son was a baby. She was his caregiver when I returned to work and he was only 4 months old! She saw his early interest in books (I’ve been reading to him since he was in utereo and it just so happened to be a Dr. Seuss book!) and gave this to him as a gift. It is wonderful to see things come full circle.  


In honor of Read Across America Day, Walmart is offering a deal so that literacy is affordable for everyone and people can start a Dr. Seuss library of their own or add to the one they already have. Dr. Seuss beginner books are currently specially priced at $5.00 (regularly $8.99) and board books are $3.50 (regularly $4.99). This is a great opportunity to build your Dr. Seuss collection.

I am not sure what activities my son’s school has planned but I know that last year the celebration of Read Across America included green eggs and ham for breakfast! I love this annual event, literacy is so important to me and prior to becoming a full time blogger, I was the Director of an early childhood literacy program so clearly I believe that reading is fundamental. Be sure to celebrate Read Across America by added to your own library or perhaps picking up a few books and donating them to some schools with children who may not have books in their homes!  



Comments

Popular Posts