Low Sodium Fish Stew {recipe}



When it is cold outside one of my favorite foods is soup. I absolutely love it. And I know if you are like me, you might like taking a shortcut and buying ready made soups. But in reality making soup from scratch is really easy and better for you because you can choose your own ingredients. Today Walmart asked me to share a favorite soup recipe and I decided to make a fish stew. It was simple to make but also challenging in regard to flavor  because I am currently eating a low sodium diet. If you have ever looked at stock of any type, I’m sure you’ve noticed how high the sodium content is in many of them. I quite frankly have never paid it any attention until today.

I found a no sodium chicken broth that I used as my base. For my vegetables I chose to use celery, carrots, kale, onion, green onion. To alleviate some of the chopping, I used carrot chips and pre-cut celery. 


Both of which my son absolutely loves so I always have them in my refrigerator to include in his lunch box. To add more flavor to the soup, I also used garlic, parsley and an anaheim pepper. Because I am not using salt, I am working on utilizing flavors that are strong and since it is winter, the pepper gave the soup some heat. But I didn’t stop there, I used Mrs. Dash, a seasoning alternative to salt. I utilized the table blend, the lemon pepper and chipotle blends.

I know it sounds like a lot of disparate flavors but in the end they all worked together. For the fish, I once again went with the Mahi Mahi. It is a mildly flavored fish and I knew it would absorb some of the flavors from all of the ingredients I put into my soup. When it was all said and done, I loved the soup. Adding the fish at the end of the cooking process added a depth to the flavor that I wasn’t expecting. The fish released juices and that mixed with all of the vegetables and spices gave was simply amazing. I am going to keep this recipe on file for the future!


Low Sodium Fish Stew

12 oz Mahi Mahi
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 large clove garlic (chopped)
1 anaheim pepper (chopped, be sure to remove seeds if you don’t want too much heat)
3 green onions
1/2 white onion
1/2 cup carrots
1/4 cup of chopped celery
1 bunch of kale chopped (I used pre-washed and chopped)
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 Tbsp each Mrs Dash - Lemon, Table and Chipotle

Method:
1. Cut the Mahi Mahi into strips and season with 1/2 of the Mrs. Dash Chipotle flavor. Set aside.


2. Heat olive oil in large pot. Add garlic, onion, green onion, pepper, celery and carrots. Cook 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth.
4. Add all of the remaining Mrs. Dash and Kale.
5. Let simmer on low for 20 minutes.
6. Add fish. Cook an additional 5 - 10 minutes until fish is white and flaky.
7. Enjoy!







Comments

Popular Posts