Mahi Mahi with couscous and orange {recipe}








We are deep in the throes of winter with temperatures plummeting far lower than they have in a very long time. As a matter of fact, in all my years of living here, I truly can’t recall a colder winter in Atlanta. Despite the cold temperatures, one of the things that can always bring a smile to my face are oranges. Winter is always the season for oranges and I remember as a teenager we held an annual orange sale with oranges from Florida for the choir in high school. Great memories of good times and since oranges are in season, Walmart is now having a Citrus Celebration and have asked me to share a recipe with you. Now, my favorite way to enjoy navel oranges are freshly peeled and freshly squeezed juice. (The sweetness of navel oranges make them a favorite and with the freshness guarantee from Walmart if they aren’t sweet I can bring them back for a full refund!) But this time, I was challenged to do something a little different.



I took my cue from the Mediterranean and daydreams of a warmer climate. I prepared a very simple meal Mahi Mahi with couscous and orange. The recipe I found on Martha Stewart called for rotisserie chicken but being a pescatarian I substituted a fish. The meal is really quick to prepare, especially if you use the chicken but cooking the fish only took about 6 minutes so it took 15 instead of 10 to make! The combination of mint, pistachios, navel oranges,  couscous and the fish caused a serious taste explosion in my mouth!


I generally do not use mint but after tasting this dish I might be adding mint to everything! It really was that good. I might just have some mint tea right now....but I digress. This meal is delicious and perfect if you are short on time but want a filling and tasty meal for your family. I promise you there won’t be any leftovers! Here is the recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!



Mahi Mahi with couscous and orange
adapted from Martha Stewart


1 cup couscous
3 fillets Mahi Mahi (or about 1 cup)
1/3 cup chopped pistachios
1 navel orange peeled and coarsely chopped
2 tbsps chopped fresh mint
2 tsps extra virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon
2 tsps red wine vinegar
coarse salt and ground pepper


1. Lightly salt and pepper mahi mahi fillets
2. In a pan heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and add mahi mahi fillets.
3. Cook fillets on both sides until done (approximately 2-3 minutes each side depending on thickness).
4. Remove from heat let cool and chop fillets coarsely.
5. Boil 1 cup of water. Place couscous in a bowl, add boiling water and cover. Let sit for five minutes and fluff with fork.
6. In another bowl toss remaining ingredients, add fluffed couscous and serve.



Comments

Popular Posts