Apple Pie Recipe

Renée's Apple Pie! 

Fall has arrived and it makes me so happy! Out with the scorching hot days of summer and in with the cool fresh air of the Fall. Accompanying the cooler weather is apple season! I've been meaning to schedule a trip to an apple orchard forever and I have never managed to make it there. It would be joyous for me to take an apple from tree to table with delightful dishes like apple salad, apple tarts and of course, the old favorite, apple pie! 




Since a visit to the orchard is not on my agenda for any time soon, I did the next best thing and took a trip to Walmart where Apple Fest is in full swing! For many years my favorite apple was Red Delicious, I ate them as a kid and I suppose I felt a little nostalgic about that particular apple. The only other apple I was familiar with was Granny Smith which my mom used for baking her famous apple pie. It wasn't until I became a Walmart Mom that I discovered the great variety of apples that are available. 


Now it is rare for me to purchase Red Delicious, I am a huge fan of Honey Crisp apples which have a sweet taste balanced with a slight tartness. I also really like Sweet Tango apples which are a cross between honey crisp and zestari apples. Absolutely delicious and only available for a short time during the fall!  


As much as I enjoy apples, I never put my own pie making skills to the test so after purchasing granny smith and honey crisp apples from Walmart, I set out to make a pie. And this time I was successful despite being a rookie apple pie maker! 


After cutting up all of the apples, I coated them with a homemade caramel sauce. I used white sugar, organic brown sugar (from Walmart!), 



vanilla, nutmeg, allspice, butter and cinnamon in the caramel. I used about three quarters of the concoction for coating the apples and placed them in a ready made pie crust. 

I topped the apples with another pie crust and left holes in the crust where they developed naturally. I crimped the edges of the pie and drizzeld the top of the pie with the remaining caramel. I baked the pie for an hour at 350 degrees and ended up with a taste sensation that I can only describe as heavenly! 



But don’t take my word for it, try out the recipe yourself and let me know what you think!





Renée’s Apple Pie


Ingredients
8 apples peeled and cored (I used 4 granny smith and 4 honey crisps)
1/2 cup of butter
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
dash of sea salt
1/4 cup of water
2 ready made pie crusts (or you can always make your own)


Method


1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and cornstarch and stir until mixture thickens. Add sugar, spices and water. Let simmer until it reaches creamy consistency, some of the sugar will liquify, about 6 minutes.
3. While caramel is simmering, rollout one of the pie crusts.
4. Pour 3/4 of the hot caramel over the apples in a bowl until well coated. Return remaining caramel to heat source on low to prevent crystalization.
5. Transfer coated apples to waiting pie crust.
6. Top with rolled out pie crust. Be sure to score the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
7. Crimp edges of pie crust with a fork.
8. Drizzle top of pie with remaining caramel.
8. Place pie on cookie sheet to catch drippings and cook in oven for 45-60 minutes - until apples are soft.
9. Remove from oven and let cool. It will be difficult but let it cool completely so that apples and the sauce can set.
10. Enjoy warmed for 20 secs in microwave with vanilla ice cream!




Comments

This looks like it was good. I just read another post another blogger did on fall recipes. I guess the weather has everyone in the mood.

Popular Posts