4th of July Shrimp Salad





I cannot believe that July 1st is here already! Where does the time go? Half of the year is already over and I’m pledging here and now to do better. Now that I’ve got that out of the way let me share with you a special meal I’ve prepared for the 4th of July and you can easily add it to your cookout menu for the day. It is called Watermelon, Tomato and shrimp salad. The shrimp are grilled on skewers and the taste they add to the salad is absolutely delicious. Because my grill was out all year, I was fearful that I wouldn’t be able to use it. Combine that with charcoal that is two years old and the odds went down significantly. But with a little help from a friend and some creative use of tiki oil (don’t judge and please don’t do this at home! LOL) I was able to both keep bugs away and grill shrimp and other meat like a champ!

This salad is really quick and easy to make and certainly can be used as a side or a full meal depending on the person. I also prepared some salmon because I realize salad is not enough for everyone. Seasoning both the shrimp and salmon were simple because I used Gourmet Gardens Herbs and Spices. 



There are a large variety of them available at Walmart and at $3.78 a tube (which lasts for up to 3 months) this is a great alternative to both dried and fresh herbs. Gourmet Gardens Herbs and Spices are organically grown and gluten free. If you are a food purist please believe me that these spices not only taste great but are a great addition to meals. I’ve used them not only for grilling but also made a pesto using the Italian herbs. It was delicious!



For grilling the seafood, I simply added a little bit of garlic and olive oil, placed the shrimp on skewers and placed them on the grill. The smoke from the charcoal added wonderful flavor to the shrimp and I heard that the salmon was delicious. Later this summer I plan on using Gourmet Gardens for cedar smoked grilled salmon.

For your 4th of July meal you can’t go wrong with this salad so without further ado here is the recipe.


And if you like my table setting, come back tomorrow to get all the details!


Shrimp, Tomato and Shrimp Salad
reprinted from myrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 6 cups arugula or baby spinach
  • 2 large yellow tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1 (4-pound) wedge seedless red watermelon, rind removed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices $
  • 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced

Preparation


  1. Whisk together vinegar, honey, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; slowly whisk in 1/4 cup olive oil. Set aside.
  2. Toss shrimp with garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until done.
  3. Divide arugula among 4 serving plates; top with tomatoes, watermelon, and onion. Top evenly with shrimp, and drizzle with vinaigrette.




Comments

Popular Posts