Horchata recipe



I remember the first time the sweet nectar called Horchata crossed my lips. My girlfriend and I went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant after a playdate at the park with our then 2 year old sons. Her son loved Mexican, mine not so much but he has always been a picky eater so the type of restaurant really didn’t matter. I carried his favorites with me in my bag. Although I’d tried Mexican food on numerous occasions, I’d never tasted the sweet rice milk, Horchata. My girlfriend convinced me to try it and I was hooked.



I drank down the first glass in seconds (yes it was that good) and quickly ordered another! I loved the taste and there are days when I crave it on my tongue. Despite my love for horchata, I think I’ve only had it once in the subsequent four years that have passed since the first time I tried it. When I was asked by Walmart to share my favorite Cinco de Mayo recipe, I immediately thought of my old standbys - margaritas (of course), shrimp tacos, and many variations of salsa. But then I had an epiphany, what if I make horchata?



I had no idea what it entailed but after a search of the internet I found that not only were recipes in abundance but Horchata is easy to make. You may be wondering what is Horchata? Basically, it is a sweet rice milk and the ways to make it vary but the one thing that doesn't change - you start with the rice.




Add water and cinnamon sticks to the mix and blend or roughly chop in a food processor.  I then placed it in a pitcher and let it marinate overnight in the refrigerator.


In the morning I strained the rice and was left with rice milk which I poured in a pitcher and then added sugar, vanilla, and almond milk. 


There are recipes that call for regular milk but I am lactose intolerant so that was not an option plus, the I figured the vanilla almond milk would add a nice flavor to the drink. And I wasn’t wrong. I served it over ice and it was as amazing as I remembered it to be!


I was able to purchase all of the items I needed at Walmart and I have more than enough to make several batches of horchata to share with friends. Cinco de Mayo, I am ready for you!


Horchata

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup long grain white rice
5 cups of water
2 cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup sugar

Method:
Place rice, two cups of water and cinnamon sticks in blender. Blend until roughly chopped. Add additional water and blend until mixed. Transfer to pitcher and let rest in refrigerator overnight (at minimum 4 hours). 

Remove from refrigerator and strain into pitcher. Add almond milk, sugar, and vanilla. Stir until well blended. Serve over ice. 

ENJOY! 




 




Comments

Popular Posts