Easy Ruffle Scarf made with Sashay Yarn




When I was a little girl I used to watch my grandmother crochet. I remember we’d sit together and watch tv while she’d crochet her next creation. One day I asked her to teach me and she was tickled pink to oblige! I couldn’t have been older than five or six but I had a ball making chains or crochet with her after school. I never did create anything special, I cannot recall if I lost interest or what happened but I still have fond memories of that time with my grandmother. I have not picked up a crochet needle since but when I was given the opportunity as a Walmart Mom to create something with Red Heart Sashay yarn by either knitting or crocheting I immediately took up the challenge!



I figure if I could crochet as a child, how hard could it really be? And honestly now that I’ve completed my project I am so glad that I was open minded and tried because this yarn made it easy not only for me to pick up crocheting again but to actually make a scarf! I have tried to teach myself things in the past like needlepoint but I’d always tackle a project that would take a long time to complete, get discouraged along the way and just leave it undone.

This time, after a few trial and errors, I actually completed my scarf within hours. Yup, you read that correctly, I crocheted a scarf in about 3 hours!  If I was more advanced I’m sure it could be done in two but I am beyond happy with my results. Unlike conventional yarn, it has is not a single strand but it is webbed with a touch of metallic and you crochet or knit using the track at the top of the yarn.

To start I watched several different tutorials for using the Sashay yarn on YouTube and I found them very helpful. If you are a beginner like me, I highly recommend this YouTube tutorial, it is very easy to follow. 




I did a trial run just to get the feel of working with the yarn and later realized I’d been missing an essential step, so I just undid the work and started over. This was actually a blessing in disguise because it gave me the confidence I needed to work with the yarn and not be afraid that  if I dropped a stitch my entire project would be ruined.





I love the beautiful results of my first completed project. And I found that crocheting was pretty soothing for me  as I recover from my surgery.  I now plan on making another scarf with the purple yarn to perfect my technique. After that, maybe I’ll be adventurous and try my hand at another pattern!




Disclosure: I am a participant in the Walmart Moms program and received samples and compensation for completing this post. As usual, all opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts