Today is Go Red for women day. A day to raise awareness about heart disease in women. If you have red, please wear it today! Did you know that heart disease kills one in three women annually which is approximately one women every 3 minutes???? (source: Go Red for Women)
But here are some more facts:
- Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women, and is more deadly than all forms of cancer combined.
- Heart disease causes 1 in 3 women’s deaths each year, killing approximately one woman every minute.
- An estimated 43 million women in the U.S. are affected by heart disease.
- Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
- Since 1984, more women than men have died each year from heart disease.
- The symptoms of heart disease can be different in women and men, and are often misunderstood.
- While 1 in 31 American women dies from breast cancer each year, 1 in 3 dies of heart disease.
- Only 1 in 5 American women believe that heart disease is her greatest health threat.
- Women comprise only 24 percent of participants in all heart-related studies.
And in African-American women:
- Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death for African American women.
- Of African American women ages 20 and older, 46.9 percent have cardiovascular disease
- Only 1 in 5 African American women thinks she is personally at risk.
- Nearly 50 percent of African American women are aware of the signs and symptoms of a heart attack.
- Only 43 percent of African American know that heart disease is their greatest health risk.
(source: American Heart Association)
These are numbers that cannot be ignored, you can help raise awareness today by wearing red. Visit the Go Red for Women's website to assess your risk for heart disease and encourage your friends to do the same!
We can take control of our health and today we can help others do so too!