Since I started the New Year off in this fashion, I decided to recreate the dish with items from Walmart - I was especially pleased with the jumbo shrimp from the Texas Gulf. To say I am pleased with the results is an understatement. Cooking the shrimp in a broth composed of lemons, bay leaves, parsley, garlic, carrots and celery gave the shrimp such a wonderful taste.
I'm not sure if my mom used the same Food Network recipe I found but it will surely give hers a run for the money.
Although I haven't been eating paleo for a couple of months, my plan is to get back to paleo eating and this dish is a perfect appetizer, snack, even meal (when served with some veggies)! I plan on revisiting this over and over again this year.
reprinted from the Food Network
- 10 cups cold water
- 2 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, quartered
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound medium or large shrimp, in the shell, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Cocktail Sauce, recipe follows
- Lemon wedges
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated and juiced
- 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish, or to taste, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce, to taste