Spelling Bee at Macy's

National Spelling Bee


Growing up I was Not the student who won spelling bees. I was able to memorize my weekly words and would do well on spelling tests but a Spelling Bee? Not my cup of tea at all. I knew my lane and spelling was not it. Not much has changed, I admit that today I rely on spellcheck to ensure that some of spelling is correct! However, I know that there are numerous children out there who are excellent spellers, study the dictionary and are successful during spelling bees. One of my favorite movies is Akeelah and Bee  I truly admire the commitment the children in that movie have to spelling. 

Obviously, not all children who enjoying spelling are going to make it to the National Spelling Bee. However, from August 25- September 22nd, Macy*s is holding Spelling Bees across the nation to enable kids who are excellent spellers to show off their abilities!  The winner of each Bee will also win great prizes including: an iPad, a $100 Macy's Gift Card, a tutoring scholarship from Kaplan and an online gift card from Scholastic. 

Here in Atlanta the Spelling Bee will be held this Saturday, August 25:
Where: Lenox Square Mall, Macy's Kids level 2
Time: 2:00 PM

If you have a child between the ages of 8-11 and they are an exceptional speller bring them out for the festivities! I'd love it if the child of one of my readers won the bee! If you aren't in Atlanta you can see the full lists of dates for Spelling Bees here. Hopefully there is one being held in your area. 

I won't mention the number of times that I used spellcheck for this post but I will say I know the kids are better at spelling than I am and I'm alright with that! 

 Disclosure: I am a member of the Everywhere Society and Everywhere provided me with compensation for this post about Macy's Spelling Bee.  However, all thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own. 



Comments

Popular Posts