4th of July Dessert


It is hard to believe that the 4th of July is right around the corner! Here in Atlanta folks are prepping for the Peachtree Road Race - I however am not participating, 60,000 people the hot streets of Atlanta? Thank you but no thank you! I've found that I enjoy destination races so much more than running here in Atlanta. I consider this my training ground but prefer to go sightseeing when I run a race! 

I do however, have many friends who are participating in the race and of course, after the race is over and the heat starts to climb, there will be barbeque's a plenty to celebrate the 4th of July. In an effort to not derail my personal commitment to eating healthy and perhaps to help coerce others to stay on track I decided to make a 4th of July themed dessert (or snack) that is healthy. Last year I made one that incorporated whipped cream (Cool Whip which only has 15 calories per serving) but this year I was inspired by a photo I saw on facebook to make a flag that is made completely from fruit. 

It is so easy and quick! I was able to assemble it in less than fifteen minutes. Of course, depending on the number of people you expect at your gathering you may have to make it bigger but certainly this sweet treat will be a hit! 

Fruit Flag

Ingredients:
Wooden Skewers
Bananas
Strawberries
Blueberries

Method:
Wash blueberries and strawberries
Cut bananas into 1/2 inch slices.
Half strawberries.
Skewer banana slice, strawberry half and five blueberries for the first five skewers. 
For the rest of the flag, alternate banana and strawberry. 
Assemble flag on a pretty platter. 
You are done! 


I hope you try out this recipe for the 4th of July or any event when you are feeling patriotic. Olympics anyone????


Disclosure: I am a Walmart Mom, I have been compensated for sharing my 4th of July idea with you and all of the ingredients were purchased and provided for me by Walmart. All opinions are my own. 

Comments

Popular Posts