Memorial Day - Honoring Our Military



Today is Memorial Day. The day when we honor those who serve and those who formerly served our great nation in the military. This day is particularly important to me because both of my grandfather's served in World War II, my uncle served in Vietnam as did my Godfather.  These are men that have influenced my life tremendously and although my grandfather's have passed away, I recall their tales of the military. I have my paternal grandfather's flag from his funeral; he is buried in a Veteran's cemetery and it is one of my most treasured  items. 


Although I am not able to visit my grandfather's gravesite, it brings me joy to know that last  December Walmart partnered with Wreaths across America and a wreath was placed on my grandfather's gravesite to honor his service for our country.  This is just one of many initiatives that Walmart has in support of our military. 







This October, I will be running my first full marathon - The Marine Corps marathon in Washington, DC. 


I told my uncle (a recipient of a purple heart) that I am running in his honor and he said "good luck, I've never run that far and never will! LOL At every water stop members of the military will be distributing water, I have a feeling that I will be shedding many tears that day - probably from exhaustion but also because of the men and women of the military who are helping along the way. Walmart is a sponsor of the Marine Corps Marathon and I'm really proud I've chosen to run this as my first marathon. 


On this day I remember the service of my family members and all of the active military and veterans of the United States. Although I have not covered half of the great work that Walmart does on behalf of the military, I also must thank them for their support of those who serve. 




Disclosure: I am a Walmart mom and have been compensated for writing this post. As usual all of my opinions are my own. 






Comments

Popular Posts