Mix it Up!

After a well deserved week of relaxation, I decided to mix things up in my workout routine. Although I am generally a runner and a person who works out at home, I decided to try out the gym and see what types of things I can get into. As a mother to a young child, the gym is not my first choice BUT there are some benefits to gym workouts. With my trial gym membership I took a number of different classes - Zumba, Hood spinning and a spin class that was paired with strength training. 


Zumba is always fun. I am a licensed instructor but have not taught my own class. I guess the idea of memorizing a routine is not high on my priorities list but given the reaction from some of the other students in the class I took, it is clear I need to start teaching. After a fun filled class I was asked when and where I teach! So, be on the lookout for Zumba with RenĂ©e in the near future! 


Hood spinning is a twist on regular spinning. The music was a mix of hip-hop, r&b and some dancehall music. The instructor guided us through basic spinning moves - mountain climbing and sprints and added flavor with some dance moves on the bikes. I know it may be hard to imagine but the class was so much fun. 


Finally, I took a spin class that was an overall challenge. We started the workout by doing a circuit training with about ten stations primarily focused on working the core. Next we moved on to strength training with handweights and ended the class with spinning. I arrived too late for my own bike but I did a 30 minute workout on the elliptical while the rest of the class was spinning. Despite being unable to do the spin portion of the class I still had an excellent workout. 


Mixing things ups keeps me on my toes and my body works different muscles and is challenged. This works in real life for me too - as much as I'd like to always prepare breakfast sometimes it isn't possible. I have been know to stop for a quick breakfast that is less than 300 calories at McDonald's - my favorite is the oatmeal. McDonald’s offers a variety of whole-grain oatmeal choices on its breakfast menu, available all day. The Fruit & Maple Oatmeal and the Apple Cinnamon Walnut Oatmeal are both 100% natural whole grain oats, rich in fiber and freshly prepared. 



Follow McDonald’s Atlanta on Twitter @McDonaldsATLand check out their website for real-time promos, meal ideas and how to make the most of your McDonald’s experience:http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/food_quality/nutrition_choices.html


Disclosure: McDonald’s partnered with bloggers such as me to participate in its “Wholesome Choices” Blogger Program.  As part of that program, I received compensation.  They did not tell me what to purchase or what to say about the products used, and believe that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. McDonald’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, FTC guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.




Comments

luckmey said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
I love mixing up my workouts. That's what keeps it from getting boring.

Popular Posts