Red, White and Blue Dessert - Healthy!

It is hard to believe that it is already the 4th of July weekend. For me this signifies the start of summer. And we all know that in addition to fireworks, barbecues are de rigor for this season. This afternoon I will be attending a bar-b-que and of course I can't go empty handed! So in addition to the bottle of libations I will bring along for the celebration; I've decided to add some patriot flare to the event. Presenting my red, white and blue dessert! 








Beautiful, right? And so easy. It is made from blueberries, strawberries and lite Cool Whip. I've seen recipes for similar desserts that incorporate heavy cream and cream cheese but I decided on trying a light version and although I haven't tasted it yet, I know it tastes great. Whipped cream and berries? How can that possibly go wrong? 


I started by washing and cutting up the strawberries.




 Next I washed the blueberries.  


The first layer is cool whip, 


followed by a layer of mixed berries, topped with a final layer of cool whip. For decoration I placed the remaining berries in the shape of the flag. 






In total, the entire project took me about 15 minutes to do. Easy, right for the season, tasty and not too high in calories. Now this is my type of dessert! 




Disclosure: I am a Walmart mom and was compensated for providing a recipe for the 4th of July. As usual, all opinions are my own. 

Comments

Misty said…
Great idea! I've seen something similar but was a cake and fruit. Never thought of layering the fruit with just the cool whip! Sounds yummy and healthy!

Popular Posts