From Diaper Cakes to Consulting!

Three years ago I was a brand new mom, working from home trying to balance motherhood, work, and a non-existent social life.  Little did I know that from a small idea a great business would be born. For my cousin's babyshower I made a "diaper cake" - diapers arranged to look like a cake. A beautiful presentation of a practical gift. When my friends and family saw my creation they immediately suggested I sell the cakes.



I took the idea and hit the ground running. I immediately created different types of cakes, researched the business online, developed my own website and added a blog. I started marketing myself online by joining various communities targeting moms, writing guest posts on blogs, and visiting and commenting on as many blogs as possible.

Soon, my small idea became a big one and not only was I selling diaper cakes but I was being hired to speak about social media, consult with companies about social media strategy and given wonderful opportunities as a result of my blogging. Three years later I am happy to say that my small online business has expanded from diaper cakes to consulting and I couldn't be happier.

Intuit is supporting local businesses like mine with their Love A Local Business Contest. They are helping small businesses realize big dreams by awarding $25,000 each month to a local business. If you have a local business you can nominate yourself and encourage your friends and family to vote for you!

It’s been very exciting starting my own business, so I’m curious to know: What dream business would you love to start? By replying you will be entered to win an iPad 2!

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Intuit’s Love A Local Business competition. The opinions and text are all mine. Contest runs July 6 to August 9, 2011. A random winner will be announced by August 11, 2011. Official Contest Rules
.


Popular Posts