Love Your Cereal Breakfast

On Tuesday I hosted a Kellogg’s Love Your Cereal breakfast at my home with nine of my friends and too many children to count! We had a great time. I prepared a lemon-blueberry coffee cake made with Rice Krispies











   I also served yogurt parfait made with mixed berries, vanilla yogurt and Kellogg’s low-fat granola. And of course I had an array of Kellogg’s cereal.

As we enjoyed our breakfast we were joined by Anne-Marie from Kellogg’s by Skype and she helped dispel some of our ideas about cereal and answered our questions.
One of the main things that we were surprised by was the amount of sugar that is actually in cereal. We guessed that between 25-35% of a child’s daily intake of sugar is derived from breakfast cereal. Anne-Marie informed us that only 5% of a child’s daily sugar intake is from cereal. We were all very surprised. Anne- Marie also reiterated the importance of breakfast and let us know that in this age of childhood obesity, having breakfast regularly helps to keep a child’s bmi in the normal range.


She opened the floor to questions and we had some tough ones. My friend Rai asked about the possibility of Kellogg’s producing organic cereals and we learned that Kashi is actually a Kellogg’s brand. We are fans of a Kashi in my household and many of the other moms are too - little did we know that Kellogg’s was the company behind this brand! I asked about sustainability efforts and Ann-Marie informed us that Kellogg’s boxes are made with recycled cardboard and that they are constantly looking for ways to make production “green”.


I also inquired about cereals without High Fructose Corn Syrup and was directed to Kashi and other low sugar Kellogg’s brands. Overall I think the breakfast was a success, we learned quite a bit about the cereal and also asked that they consider resealable bags for the cereal to keep it fresh.  Personally, I generally stick to giving my son the Kellogg's Granola and Raisin Bran but for a treat I do occasionally give him Frosted Flakes or Fruit Loops. This is a throwback to when I was growing up,  my mom only let me eat "healthy cereal".  I wonder if her view would change today if she realized how little sugar is actually in cereal......


I want to share the recipe for the coffee cake with you because there was only one small piece left when my friends departed and they ALL wanted the recipe. In my usual fashion I made adjustments, specifically I used wheat and gluten free flour and no one could tell the difference! If you try the recipe please let me know how you like it - I’m sure you won’t be disappointed! 

Blackberry Lemon Coffee Cake
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Servings: 8 Ingredients
      3 cups Rice Krispies® (crushed to 3/4 cup)
      1 1/2 cup sall purpose flour
      3/4 cup sugar
      1/2 cup margarine or butter
      1/2 teaspoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon  salt
      1egg
      3/4 cup buttermilk
      1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
      1/2 cupseedless, blackberry speadable fruit

Directions
1. In large mixing bowl, stir together KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal, flour and
sugar. Using pastry blender, cut in margarine. Remove 1/2 cup mixture and set
aside for topping. To remaining mixture, stir in baking powder, soda and salt.

2. Beat together egg, buttermilk and lemon peel. Add to cereal mixture, stirring
only until combined. Spread 2/3 batter evenly over bottom of 9 x 1 1/2-inch
round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Evenly spread fruit over batter to 1/2
inch of pan. Dot with remaining dough and carefully spread over fruit. (All of
fruit will not be covered) Sprinkle top completely with reserved topping
mixture.

3. Bake at 350° F about 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.


®, ™, © 2010 Kellogg NA Co. Kellogg Kitchens� recipes are the property of the
Kellogg Company.

For more information about cereal check out LoveYourCereal.com

Disclosure: I was compensated for my time to organize and host the breakfast but all opinions are my own.

Comments

I am certainly going to try the Blackberry Lemon Coffee Cake! It looks so yummommy!
Karen Coutu said…
Wow! Both recipes look like they turned out great. WTG!!

Popular Posts