Pure Decadence Homemade Wheat free gluten free bread

I am technically finished with the Clean Program 21 day detox however I still have plans to live a relatively “clean” life. I have been waiting patiently to make my wheat free/gluten free bread and subsequently the French Toast Sundae that I imagined would playfully dance across my taste buds.

Yesterday I made the bread - it smelled delicious and looked great too! It is mostly clean although I did use eggs to make it so not entirely diary free but I have no problem with eggs. If I decide to give them up I can always use an egg replacer and instead of milk or water I used almond milk in the recipe which was simple.  The flour, yeast, milk, olive oil and 2 eggs. That is it. Mix it, let it rise for 30 -40 minutes and bake. The one thing I’ve discovered is that if making bread is going to be a regular thing I have to either buy a bread machine or a heavy duty mixer like the Kitchen Aid upright. My 35 year old mixer that I inherited from my mom can’t withstand the dough mixing. 


The bread is a winner! It tastes so good and my son obviously likes it. This is major people, my son rarely eats anything. Seriously. But he loves the bread!


I took it a step further and immediately started making my French Toast Sundae. I was inspired by the recipe on the Healthy Tipping Point but as usual I spiced things up a bit. Instead of simply dredging the bread in plain egg, I added vanilla almond milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Between the slices I spread a tablespoon of almond butter and then placed the entire thing in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.

For the topping I made this delicious ice cream substitute - creamy frozen bananas. Diary free, lactose free and simply delicious! I had frozen a small cut up banana the other day.  I placed it in my food processor for a few minutes until creamy  and it was so good! I also made a chocolate topping using agave nectar and cocoa powder. 

I said it was decadent! And it was.Totally and completely delicious! Although it is said that this is a breakfast food, it is too rich for me. I enjoyed mine as an after lunch treat. In the future I will probably just use one piece of bread and 1/2 tablespoon of almond butter. It is so rich and I don’t need to eat that much of it. I guess eating this negates all the calories I burned running 10 miles - not! Everything in moderation. Next time I want a sundae I’ll turn to my half-portion French Toast Sundae! 

*Sadly, I checked the ingredients list again and this mix has whey and skim milk so if you are looking for a dairy free mix this is not it.

Comments

Liz Mays said…
It sure does look fantastic!
*Lissa* said…
I was going to ask if you have a bread machine, so thanks for answering that! ;p I have never made any sort of bread, maybe if I had a Kitchen-Aid or something I would! This looks delicious!
Heather D said…
I love to make bread. I've even done it by hand - the kneading and punching is kind of therapeutic!
I bought rice flour the other day, I need to get on the internets and search for a scratch bread recipe. The rice bread I bought the other day was gawd awful, kind of sour tasting, but not good sour like sourdough.
And french toast sundae? SHUT UP. That sounds heavenly right about now!!
virginia said…
I make a lot of bread in the bread machine and with the kitchen aid. I have not attempted gluten free. There are tons of great recipes out there and they are fun to try. Today I am making graham flour bread. It is made to taste like the cracker and it is great toasted.
Anonymous said…
It is very interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Bella Benedict

Popular Posts