I am constantly on the lookout for words of advice for my training and I was lucky enough to participate in a webinar with experts from the Iron Girl event series and Fitness magazine. This tips are helpful for training for a 5k to tri-athalons.
- Find creative ways to fit exercise in your day. Join a group of moms in the neighborhood and share childcare(playdate) responsibilities on a rotating basis so everyone can train.
- Stretch not only before and after exercise but also throughout the day.
- If you are a runner, be sure to vary running surfaces, try to do at least one day on the treadmill. This will help lessen the impact on your joints from running.
- Vary training intensity from day to day. Don’t stay in the grey zone/same level daily. If you train that way you will only develop one speed and not improve.
- Be sure to stay hydrated. Drink before you arrive at races, before training, make it a part of your daily routine.
- Be sure to include hills in your training, it will build strength in your glutes.
- Incorporate strength training into your workouts. This is especially important for endurance athletes over 30 years of age. Pilates, yoga, and resistance training recommended at least twice a week.
- If you are injured, take care of it right away. Missing a week or two of training is the best way to handle it instead of attempting to “work” through the pain.
- Motivation - to stay motivated put a race on your calender and work toward that goal. You will have a tangible goal to keep you going.
- Breakfast: Be sure to eat something before your race, nothing too heavy stick to your usual pre-workout meal.
- Warm-up: Dynamic stretching, walking lunges, high knees or any other stretches that include movement instead of static stretching. 30 second stride, ramp up speed slowly until you get to your race pace and repeat.
- Finish: within 30 minutes of finish get some carbs and protein in your system. Don’t forget to drink water!
This giveaway is open to the entrants in the U.S. and will be over on Sunday, July 18th at 11:59 E.S.T. Please be sure to leave your email address in your comment if you are not on blogger.