ss_blog_claim=80281e8a6739f8d9e9a2abcd6c0ea72d

Friday, May 14, 2010

Running - In a Skirt!

photo credit: skirt sports website

I am known for my spontenaity. When I was single I used to plan impromptu trips when the mood hit me and travel to interesting places on a whim. As a wife and a parent I don't have the flexibility to just go when I want to but that impetuousness still lives in me. Remember when I mentioned I was going to run a 5K in June? And it is May? Well, tomorrow I am running a 5K. I tried on a running skirt at the running store where I was fitted for my shoes on Monday and although I loved the skirt, I didn't love the pricetag.

When I got home I did some research and found out about this race on Saturday, which includes a running skirt with the price of the registration - part of the proceeds from the race are going to research for childhood cancer so of course that is another big selling point for me!

At the moment I am feeling nervous anticipation. This is my first 5K in years and although I ran for 35 minutes on Wednesday, I am still nervous. Of course I want to do something with this energy. I feel compelled to exercise, running is not an option but I feel like moving! I know I should rest so I am just going to count down the minutes until I pick up my race packet this afternoon. In the meantime, I will tell you about the race - it is called the Skirt Chaser 5K.

The Skirt Chaser is a 5k race series that was founded by Nicole DeBroom, a well-known triathlete and creator of Skirt Sports, a fitness apparel company for women. The biggest seller is the fitness skirt - yes, running in a skirt! Tomorrow I will join thousands of other women running in skirts. This is the one that I am going to wear.
Isn't it cute? I don't like to wear shorts when I run so this is a great alternative for me. I purchased this one(kinda defeats the purpose of running the race for the skirt, right?) because I wasn't sure how short the registration skirt was going to be. Since I'm a bit shy about my legs, I decided to get the capri skirt for my personal comfort.

In this race all of the women get a 3 minute head start on the men and the first person to cross the finish line wins $500. I am not delusional enough to believe I have a chance in hell of winning, a win for me means running the entire 3.1 miles, but I do hope with a three minute lead a woman does win the race. Once we cross the finish line we will be treated to a block party with food, drinks and entertainment. I cannot wait!

This race is a series and may be coming to a town near you - you can check the website for more information. After the race I will let you know how I did and how I liked running in a skirt. Wish me luck!



7 comments:

Kelly Deneen said...

It's adorable!

And GO, you!! Best of luck!!

weightlossguru said...

Good luck with the run. I like the idea of running in a skirt but I would probably get some funny looks.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on

Take care

Pete

Wifey said...

Good for you! I'm sure you're going to rock it!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Emma's Mom said...

Good luck!

lashera said...

Good luck!!

Yakini said...

That is so awesome - you rock, girl!!! Good luck to you!!!

DD said...

Congrats on finishing the race. You look great!

There was an error in this gadget
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Clicky Web Analytics