Pilates

While on this journey to healthy living I like to mix things up in the exercise department. On some days I am able to make it to the gym for my favorite spinning classes but on many days I just can't get there. For the first 6 weeks of my journey I exclusively worked out at home and lost 19 pounds so having a gym membership is really not necessary to get results.

Last week I took the challenge thrown down by The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans and tried a new workout. I have to tell you that it certainly was a challenge because I have tried most types of exercise at least once. Luckily, I had a pilates DVD from Jenny Craig- the Core Plus Reformer that I hadn't tried yet.

This DVD is from Gaiam ( a brand that I know for the yoga DVDs that I love) and the class is led by Mari . She provides direction during the video while her students execute the movements. The DVD comes with a four pronged resistance band for use during the workout. Although it takes some adjusting to get used to using this contraption, I have to say that it certainly takes an already challenging workout up a notch. Every exercise uses the core muscles - even if it is targeting another area like the legs or the arms.

One thing that I really appreciated was the modified version of the exercises. It is going to take me a long time to reach the advanced level of some of the students in the video. As a matter of fact, seeing their flexibility at some points made me want to hit them - they made it look so easy and I have to tell you, Pilates is far from easy!

I know that with consistent use of this DVD I will see my muscles tone up. I will build strength and look leaner if I keep at it. Pilates is certainly not for the faint of heart but it is a workout that will give you results. This DVD was difficult but I highly recommend it. If you are interested in trying it out, visit your nearest Jenny Craig location. You don't have to be a member to purchase this DVD.

Rethink Your Shrink, The Monday Project

Disclosure: I received the Core Plus Reformer DVD from the company but was never asked to review it. As a matter of fact, I've had this thing since September and never opened the box until now!

Comments

DVArtist said…
Good morning. I think you are young enough to really benifit from the Pilates. I did it when I was in my 30s. Now I work out with Billy Banks DVDs I have tried just about all of them. I like the military aspect of his work outs.
With that said, it is all about moving, moving, and oh yeah moving.
Have a great day Renee

Nicole/Beadwright
Gem said…
I totally agree mixing things up is important...

I have yet to try pilates though...I keep thinking it's too tough...

Popular Posts