Holiday Favorites Remixed

I love the holidays -spending time with family and friends and the food, oh the food! Clearly since I am on a journey to healthy living I am not going to be able to indulge in the high fat versions of my holiday favorites but I have options! I was sent low fat pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie recipes that were developed by the chefs at Wellspring Academies (wait a minute, just what are they trying to say? LOL) . I haven't tried the pumpkin pie recipe but I have to tell you that the Sweet potato pie was delicious! I put my own spin on it - I really need a crust for my pie and there was no butter extract in the stores so I used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!" (only a tablespoon). I searched for a low-fat ready made crust and found that Pillsbury Pet-Ritz frozen crust has 90 calories and 4 grams of fat per serving. I also used regular maple syrup, I was unable to locate sugar free.

The pie was so delicious! And at approximately 175 calories a serving and 6 grams of fat - a great alternative! I know I will be making this pie again soon. Who says living healthy means serious sacrifice?


More check-ins at Home sweet home
Powered by Whrrl


Pumpkin Pudding Pie

Ingredients:

1 30 oz. can of Libby’s Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix
½ cup of egg beaters or egg whites
1 cup evaporated skim milk
2 9-inch pie pans

Directions:

Mix pumpkin pie mix, evaporated milk, and egg substitute in large bowl
Pour into pie shells.
Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake another 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 2 hours or refrigerate. Serve plain or with fat free Cool Whip (15 calories for 2 tablespoons).

Yield: 12 3.5 oz Servings

Nutritional Information:

97 Calories
.4 Fat grams
3.2 Protein grams
20 Carbohydrate grams

Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients:

1 large sweet potato

3 cups cubed butternut squash

2/3 cup egg beaters

1/3 cup nonfat vanilla soymilk

1/3 cup sugar free maple syrup

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp pumpkin pie spice

¼ cup granulated Splenda

2 tsp vanilla extract

½ tsp butter extract

½ tsp molasses

½ tsp salt

1 cup mini marshmallows

Pam spray

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Wash and peel the sweet potato and the butternut squash.

3. Dice each into 1/4” cubes, and remove the seeds from the squash.

4. Microwave in a small bowl for 6-10 minutes, then let sit in microwave for an additional 5 minutes.

5. Place squash and sweet potato in a food processor and process until mostly smooth.

6. Add all remaining ingredients except marshmallows and Pam to the food processor and process again until combined.

7. Lightly spray a medium baking dish with Pam.

8. Pour mixture into pan and evenly spread out.

9. Bake for 30-50 minutes, or until very soft.

10. Sprinkle marshmallows on top, then bake 3-5 more minutes, or until marshmallows are beginning to brown.

11. Allow to cool slightly, and then serve!

Yield: 8 servings

Approximate Nutritional Information:

84 calories/0g fat per serving




Comments

Kim Moldofsky said…
This is motivating me to post my sweet potato pie recipe, which I love! I use a rice milk/lowfat yogurt combo to mix up with potato. I have no idea what the calorie count is, other than that it is lower than the original recipe form whence it came...and it's really yummy.

Glad to hear your mom is doing better. Best wishes for 2010! See you at Blissdom soon.

Popular Posts