Rock, Skate, Roll Bounce



When I was growing up rolling skating was the big rage. I am talking about the days before in-line skates - four wheels and a stopper in the front, were the best you could do back then. I even had a pair without a break, my friends chided me about them but they worked and when we skated around our neighborhood I kept up with the best of them. I shot the duck, rolled backwards and front, that was the way to have fun in the late 70s.

Skating remained popular in the early 80s and a roller rink called Laces opened up 5 miles from my town. The rink was extremely popular and was frequented by people from all over the metropolitan New York area. My mother would drop me and my friends off for a night of entertainment - her only requirement was that I wait outside for her by 11:30pm. Of course, this meant missing the last half hour of the session when the music would reach its peak but despite all of my protestation my mom rarely let me stay until midnight. But from 8:30 until 11:29 (yes I cut it that close) I would rock, skate, roll and bounce to my hearts delight!


Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll - Vaughan Mason and Crew

Rollerskating was good clean fun, we'd skate with partners, backwards and the middle of the rink was reserved for folks doing extra special tricks. I loved feeling the breeze as speed skaters passed me by and also lived for being scooped up by a confident skater who could lead while we danced around the rink. My memories are filled with the sounds of "Rock, Skate, Roll, Bounce" a song that is a skating anthem of the time period.

At Laces not only did we skate but dancing, especially breakdancing was an added attraction. Well known breakers like Crazy Legs from the Rock Steady Crew in the Bronx would come to Long Island to show their skills. I was thrilled to be in the midst of skating and dancing; two of my favorite things in the entire world were perfectly paired at Laces.

Laces was a staple in my social calendar (who am I kidding, it WAS my only true social activity) from the time I was 13 - 18. Fun times. I don't think rollerskating is nearly as popular now but I hope to introduce it to my son when he is old enough. It is excellent exercise ( have you skated recently?) and fun.

In memory of the old days I give you Rollerbabies! I saw this video, cracked up and remembered my youth.





Comments

Unknown said…
Oh, I'm a total roller girl! I had roller skating birthday parties!
I love that video - I saw it a few days ago and my girls and I watch it over and over again!
Anonymous said…
Oh baby, I remember roller skating. What a flash back. The roller rinks with the loud music and coloured lights. I couldn't do all those cool 'baby' tricks, but I didn't fall off my skates either. Thanks for the flashback.
Dr. Rhonda said…
I LOVE that Evian commercial, saw it a couple of days ago. Roller skating was my life back in the day too. It was pure clean fun! In Newark, NJ we had Twin City Roller Rink. When that got crazy (and I got older), my mother banished me to the suburbs to Livingston Roller Rink. When we first started going they actually had an organist (on Sundays) who would play organ music (boooo!) but it got better as the crowds left the city rink for the suburbs and requested better music. I recently went skating with my daughter and not only did I realize I now have a fear of falling (gotta get over that) I was so sore the next day I couldn't move LOL! But guess what, we are going back soon! I had a blast! Thanks for sharing your memories!
I LOVED going roller-skating!! And when we were teenagers, our roller rink held dances for teens only with a DJ. Such a fun place! :)
Girl, I was the rollerskating queen on my block growing up! I would try all kinds of tricks (and hurt myself in the process)...spins, flips, turns, you name it I tried it! I love the movie Roll Bounce, it really takes you back to simpler times :)
That's hilarious, I've never seen that!

Oh, how I loved my roller skates. We didn't have a skating rink in the small Italian town I grew up in, time always seemed to stand still there. But I loved my roller skates! And I went skating every weekend. Which explains why I had such great legs ;-)
hicksgirl93 said…
As a child growing up in the Bronx, I loved rollerskating up and down the block with my friends. I would watch in awe as my father went EVERY weekend to the roller rink with his friends and did the lastest moves on his skates. I still love to go with my kids (every other monday) at sparkles. What fun!! and the memories it brings back. The video with the babies skating put the biggest smile on my face this morning!
Anonymous said…
I just saw that commerical this morning for the first time and didn't see the whole thing. THanks for posting. Rember the skates when you had to use a key to tighten them up around your foot? This was if you weren't rick enough to afford the boot skates.
I still love to roller skate! My kids think I'm a show off, because I can still skate like I did when we were going to the skating rink. "Rock, Skate, Roll, Bounce," was my favorite. And what about "Flash Light?"

My son loves that commercial. He thinks it's hilarious!
OMG, I used to LOVE rollerskating!!! I would BEG my mom to take me every weekend. what a blast from the past! And that video is hilarious!
Oh may you just brought back so many happy roller skating memories. And that video is awesome.
Anonymous said…
SKATE KEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I loved roller skating! LOVED IT!
Anonymous said…
Yeah! When I suggested roller skating to BoyX, he was confused and started spewing out all types of variations of skating. I just meant simple, honest to goodness skating...
What great exercise it was and remember watching roller derby on TV?
Anonymous said…
I was just a titch too young for this craze - I am sorry I missed it though....
Unknown said…
oh, i was BIG on the skate scene my 6th grade year. every saturday (and sometimes friday)night, my cousins and i were getting dropped up at the skating rink. it was so.much.fun!! and i was a pro, if i say so myself, ha!
Unknown said…
I was a roller skating FOOL back in the day! Now, I am absolutely terrified that I will fall flat on my butt if I tried it now. Thanks for the memories and hilarious video!
Keyona said…
OMG! I love that song! My mom taught me how to roller skate. She still does I need to get my butt out there again since my 5 year old knows how now! Great Post!

Popular Posts