Bring Sexy Back - The Eyes Have it!


It is said that the eyes are the window to the soul so why not accentuate them? In the last post in this series I discussed how easy it is to give yourself the wide-eyed look by using mascara. Today I am adding another layer that you don't have to do daily or even weekly but I promise you will look fabulous. At this point I am sure that you are probably wondering what I am talking about - your eyebrows! Having your eyebrows professionally done can have a tremendous effect on the way you look. A well-groomed eyebrow opens up your face and places the emphasis on your eyes. For a very long time I did not get my eyebrows done - my mother was convinced that I would end up with tiny remnants that I would have to pencil in on a daily basis. While that may have been the style of yesteryear, as soon as I was old enough I started having my brows groomed.

Gone were the days of my woolly mammoth brows. I look at old pictures of me from college - yes, college, my mother still had a strong hold on me then - and shudder because my brows were bushy beyond belief. I learned that having someone tame and shape them for me made a big difference. And when I couldn't afford to have them professionally done, I would tweeze them because the basic shape was already there for me.

My favorite method is to have my brows threaded which is commonly done by East Indian women and I am truly a believer. My brows always look beautiful when I get up from the chair but I do have to say if you are sensitive the first time might be a bit of a shock. Hairs are being pulled from the root after all but I think the minor pain is well worth it. Check out my vlog and see what I mean.



If you are unable to find someone in your area that does threading, you can always get your eyebrows waxed. The key is to find a person that will pay close attention to you when you discuss your desired shape. If having your brows professionally done is not in your budget I suggest getting an at home eyebrow stencil kit. These kits enable you to choose your shape, place it on your brow, mark it and then you can tweeze. Sephora carries stencils by Anastasia she is the brow shaper of the stars. I haven't personally used them so I can't say if they are good or not.

In addition to having your brows done, I also recommend a good eyebrow shaping kit. I am never without my Benefit Brow Zings shaping kit. It has a pigmented wax that I use to keep my stray hairs in place and a setting powder to fill in my thin areas. It is a little pricey at $30.00 and it took me a long while to part with my money but it is well worth it. Especially since I have had my kit for years now. I am sure there is some expiration date on brow cosmetics but I have found that a little goes a long way and I have gotten my money's worth from the kit.

So, there you have it. Bringing sexy back by having groomed brows. It may seem like a little thing but I promise you - they will be noticed!


Comments

hicksgirl93 said…
you are oh so right about the eyebrows! I do my own with a razor but from time to time I get them proffesionally done. Although I have not yet had them threaded, I too am a believer of how great they are.
Great post on bringing sexy back!
Jennifer said…
Yes! My mom, too! She set me up so that I didn't touch a hair on my body! Guess who was the hairiest girl in her class? *sigh*

Needless to say, I am plucked, shaved, and waxed now, but it took some serious mental effort on my part because I was so scared everything would either grow in thicker or never come back again! LOL!
Anonymous said…
True that to the eyebrows. I am a low maintenance girl, for sure, but even I feel like a fifth grader if I don't at least have the brows done. When money was really, really, really tight for my family, I didn't have the money for brows and I didn't have the slightest idea how to do it myself, so I suffered for months with the bushy brow look. Now that I know there is a stencil kit, I can try to stay fly no matter my budget.
Great tips!! Lovely brows!!
Rue said…
Great topic -- my brows are not so thick, so my issue is trying to coach the technicians to go light and not give me an arch that makes me look "suspicious". I sure wish I could find consistency!
My friend had her LEGS threaded on a beach in Vietnam! Crazy!
Threading is awesome, when I lived in DC I would go get my brows done.
Love the VLOG!
Banteringblonde said…
i hadn't heard of threading! I get my brows done regularly and she trims them so they look darker - I have to fill mine in because they are so light!
Anonymous said…
I'm too much of a scaredy cat to even touch my eyebrows. Plus it huuuuurts! I did it once for a friends wedding and then after that I laid down my tweezers and just backed away slowly...

My best, Lynn
Love the come hither wink! LOL! Great post.
Anonymous said…
I've never heard of threading but it sure makes sense and sexy. Yours look great; where'd ya get that wink?
Kelly said…
I get my eyebrows threaded too. It's only $4 and it saves me so much time trying to pluck random hairs. I try to get mine done every 2 weeks or so and then do a tiny big of plucking in between
Barbara said…
Yes yes yes! Brows make sure a big difference. Once you find the shape that works for you its like a new layer of what you see when you look in the mirror emerges. I find that sometimes, after I tend to my brows, I don't need to put on makeup... just a little gloss and I'm out the door. There is a place near Cal that does threading and I have heard wonderful things about it, perhaps its time I give it a try.
CaraBee said…
My best friend is Indian and she introduced me to threading years ago. It is the best! I wouldn't do it an other way!

Popular Posts