A Worthy Cause

Shortly after I gave birth to Mekhi he was whisked away from me. I had a cesarean birth and they had to take care of completing my surgery. My husband stayed with Mekhi, gave him his first bath and put on his first diaper, a Pamper.


I was happy to find that the hospital used Pampers. Prior to giving birth I had done tons of research online and wanted the best for my baby and Pampers was my brand of choice. We still use Pampers and although Mekhi will soon be potty trained (I hope), we are loyal to the brand. And of course in my diaper cakes (remember those?) I always use Pampers Swaddlers.

In addition to loving the brand, I support Pampers because of their committment to helping others. The Pampers "One Pack=On Vaccine" campaign is part of a global initiative with UNICEF to eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus (MNT), a preventable disease that claims the lives of approximately 128,000 infants and 30,000 mothers in less industrialized nations each year – that’s approximately one death every four minutes.



Tetanus can be contracted during childbirth in developing countries, where women often must give birth at home in unsanitary conditions without access to adequate health care. The disease rages through newborns within days of their exposure to the tetanus bacteria and almost always leads to a swift and painful death.

If you have a child in diapers or use wipes, through May 1, 2009, you can help UNICEF protect moms and babies around the world against tetanus by simply purchasing specially-marked packages of Pampers diapers and wipes. Each product purchased triggers one life-saving vaccine*. These specially marked packages of diapers and wipes cost the same as traditional products and are available wherever Pampers products are sold. For more information, go to: http://www.pampers.com/en_US/unicefhome

In addition to products, you can also redeem a special campaign “baby body suit” using Gifts to Grow points though Pampers.com. Each baby body suit triggers a life-saving vaccine. http://www.pampers.com/giftstogrow

With your Help, Pampers is Helping to Eliminate Tetanus
Funding from the “One Pack=One Vaccine” program has been essential to helping UNICEF provide much-needed tetanus vaccines to help protect moms and their newborn babies in developing nations against tetanus.

  1. In the 2008 North America campaign, Pampers provided funding to UNICEF for over 50 million tetanus vaccines to help protect moms and their newborn babies against tetanus.
  2. In the 2009 campaign in North America, Pampers aims to raise funds to help provide an additional 30 million vaccines.
  3. Thanks to Pampers’ funding, the total global donations have helped UNICEF provide more than 100 million vaccines through August 31, 2008, and the North American goal was far exceeded.
  4. The global campaign goal is to provide funding for more than 200 million life-saving tetanus vaccines over the next three years.

Mom and actress Salma Hayek is the international spokesperson for the program. She continued to demonstrate her commitment to the campaign on her recent trip to Sierra Leone with UNICEF where she witnessed firsthand the vital issue of maternal and neonatal tetanus. During her trip, Hayek met with local UNICEF representatives to discuss the impact of the campaign and see the dramatic reduction in annual newborn deaths, from 215,000 in 1999 to approximately 128,000 in 2004, saving 87,000 babies’ lives each year. While there is significant progress, much work has yet to be done.

I admire the work that Pampers is doing and will remain a loyal fan until my son is out of diapers (soon).





Comments

Michelle said…
I use Pampers, and I had no idea of their campaign! Does that make me naive? I know it does make me like them that much more!
We were Pampers people. It's great to see big companies walk the walk!
Allison said…
I have known about this for awhile and also use Pampers! It is fantastic to know that I can help, even if in only a small way. Every little bit count, huh!
Unknown said…
aw .. love coming to your web site .. it's so warm and fuzzy over here :)
Unknown said…
I was just saying to my husband that you little one reminds us of our son. (when he was little)
Pampers were king 16 years ago and still are.
Anonymous said…
Pampers always worked for me. so glad that time of life is over. You really did your research didn't you?
Amarie said…
That is so great of them, isn't it? I also blogged about it here a few weeks ago: http://myprettypinkblogette.blogspot.com/2009/03/something-to-share.html
jmt said…
Consider it done here. I needed to hit up the store this weekend, I'll stock up on wipes for sure...maybe diapers too. Thanks for the head's up! :) (the picture up top is adorable, by the way)
Aracely said…
I thought that campaign was over, good to know it's still going on.

Good luck with the potty training, I'm sure Mekhi will catch on fast.
Erin said…
What a great campaign! We use cloth diapers, but we always send Pampers to Luke's sitter.
I don't have kiddos in diapers anymore but will certainly keep Pampers in mind when buying for friends, etc. To think tetanus shots are so inexpensive and yet children die of it is heartbreaking. Good for Pampers for bringing attention to the cause.
Barbara said…
Sounds like a great cause. I was a Pampers fan when Miss J was in diapers. When I couldn't get my hands on Pampers, Luvs was my second choice...

How precious is that picture of Mekhi with dad =)
Joanie said…
Vaccines are essential for every child EVERYWHERE! Having worked pediatrics, I know the importance of the vaccines and what can happen to a child who was not immunized. I've held those kids, I've seen what they endure -- the treatments, the isolation, the potential for death.

People seem to think we've eradicated all these diseases, but we haven't. They're relatively under control BECAUSE of immunizations.

Keep talking this up, Renee!

Da Goddess
dagoddess.com

Popular Posts