Think Pink!


As everyone knows October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast Cancer is the most common form of cancer in women. According to the American Cancer Society, it's estimated that About 178,480 women in the United States will be found to have invasive breast cancer in 2007. About 40,460 women will die from the disease this year. Right now there are slightly over 2 million women living in the United States who have been treated for breast cancer. (Source: nbcam.org) And although Breast Cancer is more prevalent among White women, African -American women are more likely to die from this disease.

It is so very important that all of us maintain the health of our breasts. Early detection is the key to survival with this disease. Over the last few years both my best friend's mother and my cousins mother-in-law were diagnosed with Breast Cancer. They are both in remission now and I believe that early detection was key for their survival.

Not all of the stories have a happy ending, unfortunately my "aunt" passed away from this disease as did my close friend's mother. I am sure that if you think about it breast cancer has touched your life too. During this month and every month please honor yourself and care for your breasts. And if you are man this applies to you too -it is rare but men are affected by this disease too.

If you are so inclined you may want to contribute to breast cancer research. Susan G. Komen is the most known organization but there are many others. This year I have contributed to the Boobie-Thon for bloggers that is going on from October 1 - 7th. You may even choose to do a walk or run for breast cancer. Whatever you do just remember pink not only in October but always.

Comments

CG said…
Excellent! Did you Show Your Rack in the Boobie Thon?
Ronnica said…
Love the cute diaper cakes!

Thanks for stopping by on my wonderful SITS day!
Ali said…
Great informative post! I just read where just adding 11 minutes of walking each day reduces the risk of getting breast cancer by nearly 20%. What great motivation to take care of our bodies and exercise!
Solei said…
Great psa!!!
=0D
Unknown said…
i just learned the other day that an elder aunt of mine had a mastectomy due to breast cancer. i had no idea that she even had it.

this is way too prevalent, and my interest lies in knowing the root cause. i do have various notions but won't go into it. we hear so many times that the cause of breast cancer is unknown, but i just have a hard time accepting that. there are so many factors in this society that i believe contribute.

i'll just leave it at that.

great of you to reiterate the message. we've gotta take care of ourselves.
love it! i love all the reminders everywhere this month! fab!
Dorsey said…
This is a GREAT month for me! I have friends who are cancer survivors and I get to wear PINK all month. hehehe

Great post gal! I think I'll go do a self-exam now. HA!
Barbara said…
Very true and very important. Good looking out for mentioning that men should also be in tune with their breasts health as well. You can never been too careful, or in the case of cancer screening, you can never be too vigilant.

Although breast cancer has not touched my life personally, other forms have, and as you mentioned in your post, things do not always end well when battling this killer.
Kim said…
thanks for the reminder Renee :)
enjoy your weekend :)
Vodka Mom said…
I always donate to the cancer society and UNited Way. As far as donating my boobies, I'm not sure anyone would want 'em . They're a bit saggy at this point.
Dawn said…
Great post! Thanks for the information!
Great post! At this moment I have 4, yes 4 friends who have breast cancer - 2 just recently diagnosed! Such a scary thing! Also just played again in our club's "Rally For a Cure" memorial golf tourney ~ named after the membership assistant who died 3 years ago. So many worthy causes out there to support and be a part of ~ very important for all of us. I am 3 years out from finishing treatment for a very rare cancer - below my voice box. Not alot of support groups & fundraising events for the rare cancers! So we learn to make do by supporting the ACS in general and any other events we can find - that in itself is healing! Happy wk-end to all!
Kristen Andrews said…
great infor Renee. My Aunt is a Breast Cancer survivor and I think you saw my Warrior necklace that proceed benefit the Susan G Komen foundation.
Kristen Andrews said…
great infor Renee. My Aunt is a Breast Cancer survivor and I think you saw my Warrior necklace that proceed benefit the Susan G Komen foundation.
Wonderful post! I have had three friends that have had, and thank goodness won, the breast cancer fight.
Lisa @ Serah's said…
I forgot about warning men about it too. I'm supporting Breast Cancer Awareness Month also. I remember in more months than just October because my aunt is a cancer survivor but her daughter (my cousin) died from it.
Anonymous said…
I had no idea that white women are more likely to get it but African-American women are more likely to die from it. I wonder why...
Joanie said…
Renee, thanks so much for giving a shout out to the Boobie-Thon! We topped $8,000 so far and still have a full day left.

Da Goddess

Popular Posts