Matilda the Musical



Matilda the Musical is unlike any show I have ever seen. I think that is saying a lot given I’ve been attending Broadway shows since I was a child! I had the pleasure of seeing Matilda the Musical at the fabulous Fox Theater last night and the experience was amazing! I truly understand how this show won 4 Tony Awards during its run on Broadway. Matilda the Musical is based on the book Matilda written by Roald Dahl. It is the story of Matilda, a young girl genius who at 5 has read classics like A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, Pride and Prejudice and many many more. Unfortunately, her genius is not appreciated by her parents, as a matter of fact she is verbally abused because of her intelligence. They are more interested in their son who watches “the telly” all day.


At school, Matilda also finds herself being the bullied, by none other than the headmistress of her school. However, she is taken under the wing of her teacher Ms. Honey, who chooses to nurture her genius despite not receiving support from the administration or Matilda’s parents to do so. In spite of everything, Matilda remains a child with a happy disposition who enjoys creating and telling tales to the librarian. Deeper meaning of her story unfolds as the musical progresses and the story deepens for all characters involved.

I was totally blown away by the amazing set design, the singing and the acting. Especially of the ensemble comprised of Matilda’s classmates. Although the storyline concentrated on very heavy topics, the show was filled with comedy, great songs and lyrics and was aesthetically pleasing. I highly recommend a trip to see Matilda at the fabulous Fox Theater, it is running from April 18-23rd. If you are in another city, check out the website to see if the tour is stopping near you!

Disclosure: I was provided with media passes to see the musical, all opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular Posts