Shrimp Fried Rice and Egg Rolls (recipe)



\

Over the years I have had a lot of fun being a Walmart mom. I have done everything from weather sealing my own deck, to being the social media correspondent for the Essence Festival and tons of stuff in between! This month my challenge was to act like one of the contestants on Master Chef! I was sent a box full of different products and asked to come up with a recipe. As I scoured the items, I decided that making my favorite - Asian inspired fare, would be the best bet for me. So, I grabbed the Lee Kum Kee Sriracha Mayo ($4.17) and Mae Ploy Sweet Chilli Sauce($2.00) and decided to make shrimp fried rice and egg rolls.

I was pleasantly surprised when my son - a notoriously picky eater, said he was excited about the egg rolls and requested vegetarian ones! I am a lover of shortcuts and quick meals so making these dishes fit the bill! From start to finish it took me less than 30 minutes to prepare both the shrimp friend rice and egg rolls!

For the shrimp fried rice I used the Lee Kim Kee Sriracha Mayo. I am a big fan of the spicy goodness that is sriracha, so I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed by the mayo. To begin, I gathered my ingredients: Minute rice heat and serve brown rice bowls (these are a huge timesaver!), peeled, deveined tail on shrimp and frozen stir fry vegetables. For the condiments, I used Kikoman low sodium soy sauce, ground ginger and sesame oil.


I heated about 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in the wok on high heat. I added two rice bowls and stir fried for about 3 minutes. The key is to make the rice slighty crispy on the outside while still tender on the inside! Next I added a cup of frozen vegetables fo the wok - while the rice was staying warmed on the sides of the wok. After about 2 more minutes, I added the shrimp and cooked until bouncy and pink. While the shrimp were cooking I added 1/2 teaspoon of ginger and about 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (more or less depending on you personal preference). Finally, I added 2 tablespoons of the Lee Kim Kee Sririacha mayo, mixed and removed from heat. Quick and easy stir fry! Here is the video I took while making it.



The egg rolls are really simple to make. I used Marketside tri-color coleslaw mix, fried’s eggroll wappers and soy sauce. SIMPLE!! My son requested vegetarian egg rolls but you can add your protein of choice if you like. 



To make, I sauteed the coleslaw mix for about 3 minutes, added some soy sauce and removed from heat. I laid the egg roll wrapper on a plate, filled with 3 tablespoons of the coleslaw mixture, folded the bottom and ends of the wrapper, rolled and sealed the top with some water. 



After I made the rolls, I added them to a pan filled with 1/2 inch of cooking oil. I cooked them on each side until they were nicely browned. 
And then served with the May Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce. I really liked the sauce, it lives up to the name and is both sweet and hot. I think it would be perfect for making sweet and sour shrimp and that might be my next recipe!




My son and I enjoyed our Asian inspired meal and I have many ideas for further use of the Sriracha mayo and sweet chili sauce!



Comments

Popular Posts