Kale and Corn Crustless Quiche



As a teenager I decided to stop eating red meat, poultry and pork. I kept seafood in my diet because I absolutely love it and cannot imagine a diet that didn’t include seafood! Last year I made the decision to return poultry to my diet. At the time I was hitting the gym hard and was interested in building muscle, my included 8 ounces of protein at every meal and it simply was cost prohibitive to do that eating seafood alone in landlocked Atlanta. Currently I only eat poultry about once a week. I like it but I’ve found that I have trouble digesting it so it isn’t a staple in my diet. As you can imagine, after years of having a limited diet, I have a pretty good arsenal of vegetarian dishes in my kitchen. I think many people are under the impression that eating a vegetable heavy diet is boring but it really isn’t.


There are so many different things to do with recipes that don’t have meat as the main ingredient and believe it or not, I am still learning! During the lenten season many families make the decision to give up meat on Fridays. Although I am Christian, observing Lent has never been a formal part of my worship. But we are right in the middle of Lent and I know many families are likely looking for meatless meals. Instead of featuring an oldie but goodie, I decided to search for a new recipe to try and share for Lent.


I have always enjoyed quiche and it has been many years since I made it last. If I had to guess, the last time I made it I was in college. As much as I love crust, it really isn’t a necessity when making quiche, so I went the crustless route. The vegetables in this recipe are sweet corn and kale. 

At Walmart I found these items frozen, I’ve used the kale in my smoothies in the past, but frozen is perfect for this quiche. I simply defrosted the vegetables before cooking and removed the stems from the kale. I think the flavor is fully enhanced by the smoked apple guyere cheese that I found in the deli section at Walmart.



DELICIOUS!

This recipe can be prepared and served in less than an hour and keeps in the refrigerator for a few days if you want to make it ahead. Quick, easy and delicious! Great for the Lenten meatless Friday!



Kale and Sweet Corn Crustless Quiche

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 shallot  chopped
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 cups kale, (if using frozen, thaw first; if using fresh, trim ends)
  • 1 cup sweet corn
  • 4 oz  Gruyere cheese, shredded
  • 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper

Method
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray  9-inch deep pie plate with non-stick spray (I used canola oil)
  3. Melt the butter in a large skillet set to medium high heat. Saute the shallots until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the kale to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes until wilted. Add the thawed corn, mustard seed, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste and stir 2 additional minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, combine eggs, and cheese. Add the shallot, kale and corn mixture and and stir well.
  5. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
  6. Bake 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
  7. Cool 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.




Comments

Popular Posts