Walmart making changes in the community



I am the product of an historically black college, the illustrious Spelman College. This college for women was founded in 1881 and provided a place for women who looked like me to attain higher education.  My roots are firmly planted at Spelman and I live in Atlanta now because of my Spelman experience. Like many historically black colleges and universities, Spelman and the other schools comprising the Atlanta University Center: Clark Atlanta University, all male Morehouse College, and Morehouse School of Medicine are located smack dab in the middle of a low income area. Unlike when I was in school, the housing projects that were directly across the street are long gone but poverty in the area surrounding the schools remains.


When I was in school this area was an food desert. The nearest grocery store was about 4 miles away from campus, a bus ride for people living in the area without cars. I really can’t say where or how people shopped for food, when I moved off campus my junior year, I had a car and lived outside of the area so this was never an issue for me. But I can only assume that the varied fast food outlets served as primary food sources for many years. This has now changed. Close to two years ago a Walmart opened in the area. It is within walking distance of the AUC and has opened up opportunities for both students and people living in the area.

photo credit: Walmart
There is now a place to buy reasonably priced food - including fresh produce for people in the community, it is no longer a food desert. In addition, numerous job opportunities have been opened for both students and residents alike. This change impacts so many lives and it is because of stories like this one that I am proud to be a Walmart mom. Walmart in so many ways can positively impact communities and I am happy to report it has made a change in a community that is so close to my heart!

Comments

Popular Posts