Baked Crab Cakes for Mother's Day

Baked Crab Cake - delcious! 


I can recall my graduation from graduate school like it was yesterday. It was memorable for a number of reasons. Attaining a Master’s Degree is usually a two year endeavor but it was a bit tangential for me.  I took a break, went back, fell in love and left again and finally finished 5 years after I started. Crossing the stage was a big deal for me and numerous members of my family drove to DC to see it. It was also very special because graduation was on Mother’s Day. I felt like completion of my degree was truly in honor of my mother and we were able to celebrate in a big way. If you don’t know, the Maryland/DC area is known for the seafood and on that day we went to brunch at an extraordinary restaurant that was completely centered around seafood. I truly felt like I’d died and gone to Heaven.

There were of course the traditional brunch items like waffles but I got down and dirty with the crabs, shrimp and fish. My entire family left out of that place completely satiated! Since Mother’s Day is so special I think this is a lovely way to celebrate. When Walmart asked me to highlight a recipe for Mother’s Day, I knew crab cakes were going to be my choice. Here in Atlanta we are landlocked and it is difficult to come by fresh seafood. Luckily for me, my local Walmart carries crab meat that is local (well Lousiana is local for my purposes) and perfect for using in my crab cakes.



Of course, my crab cakes are of the healthy variety. No frying here but I bet you will enjoy baked crab cakes just as much as I do. In the tradition of Maryland/DC I make my crab cakes with very little filler. I use panko crumbs to coat the outside of cakes but I use it minimally and the inside of the cake is purely carb meat. And of course, doing this keeps things healthy!


For my tarter sauce I used Greek yogurt, lemon, worcheshire sauce, a few capers and relish. Again, healthy without sacrificing taste. I have to tell you my crab cakes were delicious. So delicious in fact, I just about ate all four of them in one sitting! I suggest that you have a few more items for mom to eat when you prepare brunch....otherwise you might not get to taste your creation!

I devoured them! 

I want to wish all everyone a Happy Mother’s Day and I hope you decided to treat your mom, wife or other significant mother in your life with crab cakes!

Baked Crab Cakes

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Dash hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 scallion, including green top, finely chopped
1 pound lump crab, picked over for cartilage
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl mix together the egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning and hot sauce. Stir in the bell pepper and scallion. Gently fold in the crab, 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste. Put the remaining bread rumbs in a shallow dish.

Divide the crab mixture into 8 mounds. Shape 1 mound into a round and coat in bread crumbs. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and flatten the crab cake to form a patty about 1-inch high. Repeat to form the remaining crab cakes.

Bake until golden on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Gently flip the crab cakes and cook until the second side is golden, 5 to 10 minutes longer.



Comments

Popular Posts