NAACP Image Awards {video}




This weekend on February 22, 2014 the NAACP Image Awards were held in Los Angeles. The NAACP Image Awards honors outstanding people of color in music, literature, television and film and it is a star studded event. For the very first time it was broadcast live and Walmart was a major sponsor of the show. I was an invited guest to the live viewing of the event held in Bentonville, Arkansas to celebrate the establishment of the North West Arkansas chapter of the NAACP. Everyone in attendance wore formal attire and it we were treated to performances by Patti Labelle, Gladys Knight during the event and Elle Varner performed at the after party.

Walmart executive Sharonda Britton and Tai Beauchamp


The show was hosted by My Black is Beautiful ambassador Tai Beauchamp who was absolutely gorgeous (as usual) in a flowing pastel gown. At the party I learned that she is my Spelman sister! Spelmanites doing big things! The “Blue Carpet” was star studded with both local celebrities and of course Ms. Patti Labelle, Ms. Gladys Knight and the very handsome Laz Lorenzo.



I was given the opportunity to interview the stars of the show on the Blue Carpet and had a special treat when I was invited to Ms. Patti Labelle’s dressing room for a one on one interview. I must tell you that I am a lifetime fan of Patti Labelle, I get it honest, my mom never missed one of her shows when she came to our city. I had a hand in that because as a child I’d always purchase tickets as a gift for my mom to enjoy the show. After sharing my story with Ms. LaBelle she voluntarily made a video greeting for my mother. This interaction with a legend absolutely made my day!




During my interview with Gladys Knight she shared the importance of the NAACP and noted that she is a lifetime member of the organization. I was completely impressed with the total grace and extraordinary talent of both of these women. It is no wonder that they are icons and have a fan base that spans far and wide. The performances were outstanding and I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to see that both in concert for the very first time and speak with them.




I love that Walmart recognizes the importance of supporting organizations like the NAACP that make a difference in the lives of others. It is this type of commitment and the core values of the organization that make me proud to be a Walmart mom!




Disclosure: As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I've received product samples and compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.



Comments

Renee, you look absolutely stunning.
Allison M. said…
Gladys and Patti's make up is FLAWLESS.

great video and what an awesome opportunity!

Popular Posts