Black Eyed Peas for New Year's Eve {recipe}



Unbelievably the New Year is right around the corner! I don’t know how this year zoomed by but it did. I must say that despite having healthy challenges during the first quarter of 2013, overall it has been a fabulous year. I have high hopes and aspirations for 2014 and one of the ways that I traditionally ring in the year is with black-eyed peas for good luck. Now, this is a tradition that I believed was solely African-American but several years ago when I mentioned cooking and serving black eyed peas to bring in the New Year on twitter I was surprised by the response!  There were so many Southerners who not only knew about the tradition but practice it and they were of the much fairer persuasion! Apparently, black eyed peas were planted to feed lifestock in the South and later slaves. During the Civil war this particular crop was not destroyed by the Northern troops and became a staple of those left in the Confederacy!


Regardless of the origins, black eyed peas mean luck and prosperity to me and I eat them to bring in the New Year! There are many ways to prepare them but you certainly cannot go wrong with this black eyed peas salad which is good at any time of the year! I took a shortcut and used canned black-eyed peas so this was really a quick and easy recipe.




Of course, you can buy uncooked peas and soak them overnight before cooking but I wanted a quick meal. If you are using canned black eyed peas please be sure to rinse them before using.


There is a lot of sodium in canned foods and rinsing is a very easy way to reduce the amount of salt. I’m highly aware of things like this because my entire family on my maternal side is hypertensive so I am mindful of salt when I cook.


I highly suggest bringing in the New Year with a side of black eyed peas, who can’t use a little luck and good fortune in the New Year?!!!


Black Eyed Peas Salad
(adapted from Delish)
Ingredients
  • 2 cans black-eyed peas
  • 1/4 cup(s) white onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup(s) roasted red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 tablespoon(s) jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
  • 2 tablespoon(s) chopped parsley
  • 2 tablespoon(s) chopped cilantro
  • 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon(s) red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon(s) Kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper


Method

Rinse beans and transfer to a large bowl. Add onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, parsley, and cilantro, and stir to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.


Comments

Popular Posts