Take the Reading Month Pledge!






I have been an avid reader since I was five years old. When I was young, things were different and most children did not start formal reading in school until the first grade. But I, well, I harassed my kindergarten teacher from day one of school to teach me to read. I was READY! But I was told daily “not today.”  One day when I asked the question, my teacher said “Today is the day!” I was ecstatic and I’m sure I skipped home with the news to share it with my mother. Little did I know that my mom had called the teacher to “encourage” her to teach me to read, otherwise there would be consequences and repercussions! LOL!

My mom was very involved and supportive and my reading and I am the same with my son. Prior to professionally blogging on a full-time basis, I worked with a National early childhood literacy program. I read to my son when he was in the womb and continue to do so daily. My son is now in kindergarten and he reads to me. He is still a beginner but is doing quite well and is one of the top readers in his class. 




He has books that he enjoys but he was over the moon when we received the Tag Leapfrog system. He already has a Leapfrog tablet but with the system he is reading his Leap and the Dinosaur book all on his own. And as a big fan of dinosaurs he will read, play games and interact with the book for hours.  This was so timely because it is National Reading Month and studies show that children who read for 20 minutes or more a day score in or above the 90% percentile!



My son and I often read with Leapfrog together and then I will read another (or the same) book of his choice out loud to him. For me, taking the pledge to read with my son for 20 minutes a day was a no-brainer. And for each share of the pledge on facebook this month, Leapfrog is donating 5 books to America’s schools. Taking this pledge is such an easy way to make a difference both in your child’s life and in the lives of children all across the nation. It is my hope that you take the pledge, read 20 minutes with your child daily and of course spread the word!



I was selected for this opportunity by Clever Girls Collective but content and opinions expressed here are my own. To take the LeapFrog Reading Month pledge, please visit their Facebook page. #LFReadingMonth #spon

Comments

Popular Posts