International Women's Day!


Today is International Women’s Day! International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. In some countries (like South Africa where I used to live), International Women’s Day is a holiday. I can remember celebrating in South Africa by attending a party (c’mon, you know I like to dance!) and I was actually the winner of a trip to Durban. I won an all expense trip to the east coast of South Africa on the Indian Ocean. My girlfriend and I had a ball! As much as I enjoyed that experience and working overseas, I realize that I am blessed. There are women around the world who struggle daily just for bare necessities in life. Nearly 1 Billion women worldwide live on less than $1.00 a day!


This is why I think programs like Walmart’s Empowering Women Together is so vital.  Empowering Women Together is an online destination on Walmart.com that gives shoppers who want to buy unique products that opportunity to do so while supporting small women-owned businesses around the world. With each purchase, you are making a difference in the lives of women, their families and their communities. Currently Empowering Women Together offers more than 200 items from 19 businesses in 9 countries! 



Women like Joy Ndungutse, an entrepreneur in Rwanda who says, "From a humble beginning under a tree in a remote village in Rwanda, my sister and I founded Gahaya Links after the devastating 1994 Rwanda Genocide that left over 1 million dead. We organized about 20 women with a vision of empowering them to enhance their weaving skills, to be able to earn an income, and live adequately by community standards.  Today we are a growing network of over 4,000 women, the majority of whom are genocide survivors and are organized in cooperatives throughout Rwanda.  Through our partnership with Full Circle Exchange and opportunities such as Empowering Women Together, this platform gives hope to many families in Rwanda and we are so grateful."

Joy’s story is simply awesome and she is not alone. You can read more stories about the women participating by visiting Empowering Women Together  and of course you can make a purchase of jewelry, apparel, home decor, and fine foods to support their businesses. I know I plan on making a purchase and from what I’ve seen, I’ll be making many purchases with the knowledge that not only am I acquiring things that I like but I am making a difference in the life of women worldwide.


Disclosure: I am a participant in the Walmart moms program. I have been compensated for my time and efforts in creating this post. As usual, all opinions are my own.


Comments

Popular Posts