Atlanta Day Shelter for Women and Children - Giving Back this Holiday season!






This is my favorite time of the year. The sparkling lights, decorated yards, holiday music and classic shows like my favorite "A Christmas Story" keep me smiling. But the thing that makes me smile the most and count my blessings is having the ability to help others. While blogging has certainly impacted me in a positive way, my relationship with companies like Walmart enable me to pay it forward. This year, I was given a $100 budget to do with as I see fit. There are many charities that I support but this year I wanted to help the women and children of the Atlanta Day Shelter for Women and Children.

"Our mission is to ease the burden of homelessness for women and children and to assist in establishing self-sufficiency by providing comprehensive education and supportive services in a manner that respects human dignity."

This organization is simply amazing. The critical care program provides essential needs including: 

  • Clothing closets
  • Laundry facilities
  • Restrooms
  • Breakfasts and lunches
  • Childcare
  • Essential medications and healthcare (such as child immunizations)
  • Mail, telephone, computer and fax machines
  • Toiletry and personal hygiene items
  • MARTA transportation to interviews, work, school and other destinations vital for starting a new life
  • Infant care items (such as diapers, formula, and baby food)
  • Showers
 and provides health care, computer training, employment assistance, housing assistance, youth and children services. Annually the Day Shelter holds the Christmas Project which is designed to fill gift bags with presents from the women and children's wish lists. Last year 1,708 personalized gift bags were given and 1,071 of them were for children. 

This is the only time of year that only brand new items are requested. It was my absolute pleasure to take my entire budget of $100 and see what I'd be able to purchase for this effort. I simply printed the wish list and took it with me to Walmart. My plan was to purchase gifts for boys, girls, women and different age groups and I'm happy with what I was able to do. 


 

 

 
Who doesn't like Marvel Action figures?        My favorite find, a manicure set that has a dryer for $5

The Day Shelter is still accepting donations and will accept them until December 24th but ask that if possible donations be dropped off by the 21st. I love that I was provided with this opportunity to give back by Walmart. I hope that you and your family find a way to spread the love this holiday season too! 







Comments

Popular Posts