Veteran's Day

This Sunday, November 11th is Veteran's Day. And this year is very special because it is the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War. Whenever I hear those two words I think of the men in my family, my uncle served, my Godfather, and many family friends. Although I was very young, I remember photos from Vietnam that I would look at shortly after the war concluded. Running the Marine Corps Marathon was extremely emotional for me, we ran by Arlington National Cemetery, the Blue Mile of photos and memories of fallen soldiers, all of the Marines providing drinks and volunteering at the race and of course my Uncle who received a purple heart during the Vietnam war. I told him I was running MCM for him and his response was "good for you, I'm a Marine and I've never (and will never) run a Marathon). It was quite funny but totally my uncle's personality. So yes, Veteran's Day is very special to me (In addition to the Vietnam connection, both of my deceased grandfathers served in the military during WWII).








Walmart is also very committed to supporting the military. This year, in the majority of Walmart stores starting the week  starting week of November 11th, there will be a Flag of Thanks. This is a speciial opportunity for customers and employees to express appreciation and gratitude to veterans for their service. The Flag of Thanks will be on a corrugate board measuring approx. 4'x6' that will allow local communities to write separate notes of thanks for their service to our country. Customers will be given red and white note cards to write their words and then attach them to the board. Once the board has been filled with notes of appreciation, the store manager should make arrangements to present the Flag of Thanks to the local VA Hospital Center, a local VFW or American Legion.

I will be sure to be on the lookout for The Flag of Thanks at my local Walmart and will be adding my gratitude for veterans. In addition to the Flag of Thanks, Walmart provides support and employment opportunities for veterans. Watch this video about the experience of John Raftery. Walmart has also partnered with iThanku. During the NBC Sports broadcast of the Walmart Carrier Classic messages that have been submitted in support of our troops and veterans will be shown. The Classic is on today at 4PM. To submit your note or photo of thanks visit the facebook app.



Walmart is committed to supporting our Veterans and in 2010 pledged $10 million to help our nations heros find employment when they return home. In 2011, this was doubled to $20 million over 5 years. This Veteran's Day be sure to thank one of our heros. They certainly deserve it! 

Disclosure: I am a Walmart mom and have been compensated for spreading the word about these initiatives. As usual, all opinions are my own. 








Comments

Popular Posts