Black Girls Run! Drive to End Hunger Race Weekend


I am a long time fan of Black Girl’s Run! (BGR!) and over the past three years have watched it grow from a blog to a movement of women across the country meeting and running together to combat the obesity problem in the black community and provide support for runners of all levels. I remember chatting with Ashley and Toni in 2010 on twitter as I prepared for my first half-marathon and now I am an avid runner having completed 10 half-marathons since October 2010 and I'm currently prepping for my first full marathon!   I have many friends who expressed interest in running and since becoming introduced to BGR! they are now running their first 5k, 10k and half-marathons! When the inaugural Black Girls Run! Drive to End Hunger 5K/10K Race Weekend here in Atlanta from September 14-16 was announced I was ecstatic! I have been asked to be a Race Ambassador for the event and of course I am all in!


Here in Atlanta we have the largest BGR! running group in the country (I believe we are currently 6,000 plus strong) and it will be wonderful to see my running friends from all of the nation here while we run for a cause - to end hunger and fight obesity! In addition to the races, there will be sessions, dinners and all types of fun activities that weekend.


The races are open to both men and women, I am sure a lot of guys will be happy about this, I’ve heard about many significant others wanting to be a part of BGR! My last 10K was when I ran the Mercedes Marathon Relay in February, all of my team members were from BGR! 




I met them for the first time on race day but our instant camaraderie was amazing and I was so proud to be on the team. We had members running their longest distance that day and finished! For me this is what BGR! is all about. We encourage and support each other completely!


I am currently in the midst of training for my first marathon in October so clearly by the time the BGR! 10K comes around I will be ready. During the Mercedes Relay I ran the first leg and did a personal best (running in the cold - 17 degrees!) and now am looking forward to September to improve my time. I will keep you updated on my training and tell you more about the BGR! Race to End Hunger Weekend in the coming months. 


Disclosure: As a BGR! Drive to End Hunger Race Ambassador I am receiving complimentary race entry and other perks. As usual, all opinions are my own. 

Comments

kia said…
I really want to do this race but have to consider a few things. I know a few women from our BGR Denver group are planning to go and I would like to join them but will already be traveling a week later for Fitbloggin - so who knows.
I am really happy to see that there is a marathon to support the cause of hunger and obesity.. Good luck to you and all the runners :)

Popular Posts