Disney's BRAVE!


Disney Pixar's BRAVE is in theaters today and earlier this week I was lucky enough to be invited to a preview of the film. As I mentioned last week, I have been anxiously awaiting this film. The first time I saw the trailer a few months ago, it was evident to me that I needed to see this film. Disney's newest Princess Merida is a role model not only for young girls but for me and I'm sure many adults. 

BRAVE is the story of Merida, a Princess from the Highlands of Scotland. At an early age, her mother was focused on imparting all of the knowledge a young royal "should" have - proper manners, history, etc. It is very clear early on that Merida is more of a rough and tumble girl more interested in learning combat skills - specifically archery. Her father the King fully supports his daughter's passion and rewards her with the gift of a bow. 

When Merida is a teenager, her mother is hastily preparing her for betrothal and an unknowing Merida continues to live for the days when she can jump on her horse, let her hair fly free and gallop away to the forest to practice her archery skills and have adventures. One evening when she returns from a jaunt, her mother is reading correspondence and announces that three suitors will be visiting to win Merida's hand in marriage. 

Merida is livid and determinately devises a scheme to get out of it, once she learns that ultimately she chooses how the young men will compete for her she chooses archery and vies for her own hand in marriage! The story that follows is filled with action and adventure as Merida works to change her destiny. 

Merida is a strong protagonist and is officially my favorite Disney Princess. I believe the lesson that "We are in charge of our own Destiny" is one boys and girls, young and old can live by. Although I am frequently inspired by Disney films, BRAVE is my new favorite and one that I encourage all parents with little girls especially, to take their children to see. 

I am in charge of my destiny and BRAVE was a wonderful reminder for me. 


Disclosure: I attended a complimentary preview of Disney Pixar's BRAVE but as usual, all opinions are my own. 

Comments

Planning on taking the kiddies to see this.

Popular Posts