Read For The Record


I have fond recollections of being read to as a child and can still remember the glee I expressed when my kindergarten teacher finally agreed to teach me how to read. I'd been asking her on a daily basis to teach me to no avail but once my mother intervened my reading lessons began (this was long before the days of "Your baby Can Read" and other early reading methods). Although my teacher was recalcitrant about my reading readiness, I proved her wrong and read everything in sight! As a mother, I want to instill a love of reading in my child and know have been reading to my son since he was in utereo. As a mother it is important for me to ensure my child is prepared for school and it is my hope that as many children as possible have reading in their lives too. Early childhood literacy is a cause that is near and dear to me, in my last consulting position, early childhood literacy was my area of focus. As a mother it is important for me to ensure my child is prepared for school and it is my hope that as many children as possible have reading in their lives too.

I was recently introduced to Jumpstart and want to share information about this important non-profit organization with you. Jumpstart is an early childhood literacy program that seeks to provide early learners with the skills that they need for school readiness. Jumpstart brings together college students and community volunteers with preschool children for a year of individual tutoring and mentoring. Since 1993 they have touched the lives of over 70,000 preschool children with millions of volunteer hours. Their annual "Read for the Record" day is being held on October 8, 2009. On this date they are working to beat the Guinness World Record for the number of children read to on one day. Reading, fundraising and book drives are being held all over the country to support this effort and provide books for low-income children.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Earl Carle is the official book for this year's "Read for the Record." This is a favorite in the Cutie Booty Household and Mekhi knows the story by heart. I love the colorful illustrations in the book and the story reinforces the counting skills that he is currently learning. If you are interested in supporting Jumpstart's "Read for the Record" visit their website and make your pledge to read to a child or children on October 8th. Although I read to Mekhi on a daily basis, on the 8th I plan to visit his preschool and read to several classes. I hope that you decide to join in the effort too. There will also be a twitter party on September 24th from 9 - 11 pm EST using the hashtag #jumpstart to raise awareness about "Read for the Record." Also I want to get out the word that the book is available at a Walmart for a special price of $8.99 and all proceeds from the sale of the book will go to Jumpstart.




Comments

T.Allen said…
I'll support the cause by purchasing the book at Walmart and sending it to my 2.5 yr old niece back East-I'll be sure to have my sister read to her on the 8th as well as go forward.

Literacy is an integral part of our lives here as well. Even with busy schedules we make time for reading. Great post and program.
Anonymous said…
I plan on supporting it by purchasing 4. One for my household, one for my nephew, one for my little cousin and for my girlfriends daughter. I'll read to my boys and post it on my blog on the 8th.

Love it!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for this info!
Anonymous said…
How important (and fun!) it is to read to a child. I've always thought that one of the most precious and valuable gifts you can give a child is the joy of reading.

Wonderful program and even though mine is to old to be read to, we read together. He reads a page, I read a page and it's always a book he's picked out.
Our kids love the Very Hungary Caterpillar. This is a great cause and good info. Thanks for sharing.
jmt said…
If children can grasp that learning to sound words and read opens up entirely new INDIVIDUAL tasks...they'd love it as much as we hope they will. They can read thier own menus, read the road signs, (tell you that you're driving too fast once they learn to read the spedometer as well), etc.

I was interrupted when typing this....I don't even recall my train of thought. LOL Happy Friday.
I passed along the Kreativ Blogger Award to you! http://senilemomentia.com/2009/09/yippee-kreativ-blogger-award/
Petula said…
My children have so many books. I still have all the ones from when my oldest daughter was their age and they've accumulated some. I could have sworn we had this one too, but I don't see it. Guess I'll have to click through and get it, huh?

How's your mom's visit going? This has been a rough weekend for me (long story), but I am trying to be positive. Not so much medical as emotional so I haven't really felt up to talking. Concentrating on work and self.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
Live.Love.Eat said…
We have that caterpillare book and LOVE it!!!! So colorful and cute!!!
Anonymous said…
Sorry I'm reading this too late. A month almost...but the book is priceless.
BigLittleWolf said…
The book is wonderful. I remember both my boys loving The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and reading it to me.

Nice memories. Thank you.
Momisodes said…
What a great cause!
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a staple in our house. It was one of the first books my daughter memorized! She loves it.

Popular Posts