Chicago, Chicago

Last week I traveled to Chicago and simply put - it was nothing short of amazing. BlogHer09 and Chicago lived up to all of my expectations. My plan was to arrive early Wednesday morning so that I could lunch with a friend and then explore the city. I was eager with anticipation and only slept an hour Tuesday night. The rest of the time I wrote blog posts and finished off my to do list. I didn't want the guilt of neglecting my blog and other responsibilities hanging over my head during my time away.

Wednesday morning I finished my packing and woke my husband in preparation of my trip. He started talking about cut off times for checked luggage but I calmly asserted that we could only hope for the best and neither of us had the ability to turn back time so just ride it out. We arrived at the airport without incident, early enough for check-in and negotiating the maze of security was quick despite the long lines.

I purchased a book to read on the flight and once I boarded I sat down next to a chatty and nice gentleman. Our conversation was cut short because I promptly fell asleep. I don't even think I stayed awake for liftoff. I met my driver provided by Tide (thank you so very much) at the airport and we shared laughs on the ride to Chicago. We discussed race, listened to comedy and he give me tips and pointers about things to see in Chicago.

Upon arrival at the Sheraton I had to wait for my room and I passed the time by chatting with friends on Skype and facebook. More tips for exploring the city were given and I anticipated my adventure in the city. Within a half hour a room was prepared for me and although there was a minor snafu I was able to freshen up and ride to meet my friend Megan for deep dish Chicago style pizza.

We enjoyed chatting over delish pizza and after lunch was over I decided to venture over to the John Hancock building which was only a couple of blocks away. At the bass of the building I was treated to live Salsa music and a couple from the crowd decided to dance to the vibrant tunes.

I proceeded to the observation deck and the view was breathtaking.

My next stop was the visitor cente where I learned about a tour of the river and Lake Michigan. The cruise departed from the Wrigley building and I strolled down Michigan Avenue to get there. Michigan Avenue is reminiscent of 5th Avenue in NYC, I didn't spend much time shopping because I didn't want to miss the next cruise. I am a water baby and loved every minute of the tour. although I could have done without the sun beaming down on my head. Did you know that much of the beauty in Chicago lies in the architecture? Simply beautiful.

I am sure you are wondering about BlogHer and photos, I promise more is coming. As gregarious as I am I wanted to share the joy I feel when traveling solo. As much as I enjoy the company of others, I also cherish my alone time. This is the first of several posts about my trip and later today I will have photos to illustrate my story.



Comments

jmt said…
Just a teaser, I see.
CailinMarie said…
I like Tooj's comment!
funny!
so glad you had a good trip - really want to know about blogher - do I want to go to NYC next year? Why?
Fill us IN!
Nikki said…
We hear it all the time....moms need time to ourselves to recharge and blah, blah, blah. As moms it's hard to imagine much less actually make happen until something forces us to...then we wonder....why don't I do this more often. LOL

Glad you enjoyed your trip and "you" time doing some site seeing. I'm glad you posted as a visitor and not just a blogher attendee. :)
Anonymous said…
I love this post Renee. And I love how you are going to give it to us in bits. This one is like the pre-intro to BlogHer. Now I'm gonna check out the pics.
Anonymous said…
Oh Renee, we've driven through Chicago before and I was so in awe of the architecture too!
Can't wait to see the pictures although I must say, your writing painted a picture also :)
Boston Mamas said…
It was a joy to meet you Renee - and I look forward to getting to know you better! -Christine
Leanne J said…
It was so wonderful to see you again. You look absolutely amazing! I confess, I skipped Saturday's lunch and did a boat tour as well. I loved it! Can't wait to read all your posts.
Leanne
TRochelle said…
Wow Renee! I am such a glutton for punishment. I read your blog, knowing it was going to make me wish I was half way as established as you are. I would love to do something so wonderful. I DO love living vicariously through your blog so please keep it coming. Oh and what a blessing, Tide was your ride lol!
Smockity Frocks said…
I LOVE the name of your blog. I CAN'T STOP SAYING IT! cutiebootycakescutiebootycakescutiebootycakes.

Can't wait to read more about Blogher.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like a great time - can't wait to hear more!!
sian said…
can't wait to hear more!
anymommy said…
I loved meeting you. You are absolutely as gorgeous as I thought and it's a little tiny bit intimidating, or maybe I'm just jealous ;-) The conference took my breath away with it's crazy pace and overwhelming number of people - I wanted to get you to myself and chat, but instead only saw you at huge, loud parties. Still loved getting to meet you in person!

Popular Posts