Christmas, Christmas


This Christmas - Donny Hathaway


I love "This Christmas" by Donny Hathoway. I am sure that once you listen you will agree that it is a beautiful song. It reminds me of the holidays, family, and gathering of friends. I think that during the holiday season we all consider the "joy" of the season. But many times that "joy" is wrapped up in spending money, going over budget and contending with the bills when the New Year rolls around. Unfortunately we tend to get wrapped up in making the holidays "special" but I think along the way we may have forgotten the true meaning of the season. If we get back to the basics - celebrating the birth of Jesus with family and spreading love and cheer this season we will be less pressured to make things "perfect." Perfection is a construct that lives in an imaginary place and really why is there a need to strive for something that does not exist?

Personally I have decided to take it easy on myself this year. The shopping is not done but I am keeping it simple and if Christmas rolls around and I am still not done? Well the celebration continues during Kwanzaa and of course reduced prices make shopping that week cost effective.

I believe that this quest for perfection ties into the feeling of being overwhelmed and the depression that many people contend with this time of year. I just wanted to let you know that if you or anyone around you is feeling depressed this holiday season there are resources available to assist you.

I've teamed up with the Parent Bloggers Network to get the word out about the FFDA, a non-profit organization that provides support to people that are feeling overwhelmed. It is so important that we take care of ourselves and if you are in need of help, not just now but at anytime during the year please contact FFDA for the support that you need.


Comments

I absolutely adore "This Christmas," and especially Donny Hathaway, who was a talent who came way before his time. Indeed, when you speak of depression, Hathaway is the poster boy for why people need to seek treatment. See, right at the height of his career, he committed suicide, leaving behind a wife and two daughters (one of whom is an incredible recording artist in her own right). His influence can be found in the songs of many artists, but what we should remember also is that if someone would have reached out and treated his condition, he might still be here today, making incredible music.

I have to say, though, that I love the holidays--the warmth and beauty that comes with it is infectious. And though I understand that people get depressed for many reasons around the holidays, I want to salute those who adore this time of the year for all of the wonderful things it represents, including that Jesus is the reason for the season.
it's just not Christmas without "This Christmas". It is one my absolute favorites, well except when Dwayne starts to sing the heck out of it! I am so astonished by how many people are so stressed out about Christmas as far as buying, buying, buying is concerned. I don't go all out with material things because it is not what Christmas is about. I am with you on buying after the fact to snag the best deals. And you said it best "Jesus is the reason for the season" :)
Renee, you always have a way of gently reminding me what is important and not to get bogged down with the unimportant stuff.

Thank you again my dear.
*Tanyetta* said…
You're right! Let's get back to the real reason of the season!

p.s. LOVED that jam!!!
Kristen Andrews said…
cool song! I agree I think many have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas, great post Renee!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for this post, Renee! I love that you shared this link as well because I am getting a bit of the winter blues myself :/
Hey Renee! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! I love new visitors!

I love those little ladybug shoes (below) and I remember watching Oprah's interview with Tom the first time it aired. You just never know when you'll get your big break! Your diaper cakes are GORGEOUS! I would love to put your logo on my page after the new year. That's when I'll be opening MY store, Tiny Tutus! Mompreneurs need to stick together! ;)
Everyone in my family is toning it down this year and we all feel so much more relaxed. It's wonderful. It has always bothered me that Christmas is so commercialized when really it should be about appreciating friends and family...and good music! LOL.
T.Allen said…
One of my favorite songs. Oddly enough, while I am generally depressed all year round-the holidays are a fun time for me (provided I get enough alone time and sunlight)
Heather said…
We have actually toned Christmas down considerably this year. It really took a lot of the stress out of things when I only have to get stuff for the children. My husband's got 4 siblings, his parents are divorced and remarried plus all the extended family. It was just way too much! This year, we are enjoying the simpler things that make Christmas such a wonderful time of year.
Tabitha Blue said…
I think that a lot of families are really trying to get back to the more important parts of Christmas... to the things that really matter... and the rest really does tone down! Great post!!!!!

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com
Barbara said…
That is a beautiful song and it always gets me into the Christmas spirit every time I hear it. I think I have a special love for Christmas music, gospel or otherwise.

I agree. I think we create certain kinds of traditions that come back to bite us, lol. If we just remember that the holidays are really about celebrating love we would be a lot less stressed. Its not about trying to receive all that you can or give every thing that you have, but about being thankful for what you have and working to help create meaning in the lives of others.
Green said…
I've probably heard the song, but I don't recall [of course I have severe CRS, now-a-days] Anyway, I think alot of us are going back to the real reason for Christmas, because of the spot we are in (ecomomy). Although I know alot of people would suffer if we just made it about family and Jesus, I think, sometimes we'd all be better off forgetting the gifts!
CaraBee said…
I have mixed feelings about the holidays, I love getting together with family, giving gifts and all of the festivities surrounding Christmas but I get so stressed about the travel and the financial and emotional toll the gifts take. I'm trying to make it easy on myself this year by getting most of our extended family the same thing. We'll see how it goes. Great song!
Unknown said…
love the song by donny hathaway and love his singing in general.

great words. i don't do shopping or gifts for the holidays but certainly understand the pressure so many people find themselves under during this time of year. i hear it just about everyday that i'm out and about running errands. i like the approach you're taking.
Gem said…
I love that song...but another version by another group...that I can't think of right now!
Joanie said…
Renee, feel free to download my Christmas tunes I've posted on my site. I have 12 songs. All Christmas blues. It's good stuff.

All others are welcome to download the songs as well. Tis the season!

Da Goddess
dagoddess.com

Popular Posts